Options

Mutiple RTC in One Computer

johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
edited 2010-12-03 in NAV Three Tier
Dear all,

I have RTC installed in one computer. I want to have 2 RTC in that computer. But, it is not possible to install 2 RTC in that computer, isn't it?
The goal is I want to have one RTC run with database A and the other RTC run with database B in the same computer. Is it possible?

Thanks before.
Best regards,

Johanna

Answers

• Options
    EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
    Hi,

you have to copy the service dir and register a second service for that.

Freddy wrote a nice guide and build some bat files which can do that for you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/freddyk/archive ... tiers.aspx

For me this works fine.

Regards,
    egnaz
  • Options
    Hi Egnaz,

Thank you for your quick response :)
    Do you have successfully install 2 RTC in the same computer?
    I already install NAV 2009 3-tier in three computer and already have 2 services.
    One computer for database. In the second computer, I already have 2 NAV Server Service with 2 different database in my middle tier. In the third computer, I only can install one RTC and run it successfully. In the RTC, I can choose the original server or the new server I already made. But, the goal is I want to have 2 RTC with 2 different database that is run simultaneously. Is it possible ? Thank you :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    EgnazEgnaz Member Posts: 111
    You have to modify the „clientusersettings.config“ (Standard path under Win7: C:\Users\“Benutzername“\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV)

For that you can copy this file to a directory you like and then change the paramters in the file.
    For example:
    <add key="Server" value="[DBSERVER]" />
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="[second instance]" />
    <add key="ServerPort" value="7048" />

And then you can create a second desktop icon with following start paramter:
    „C:\Program Files\<path to RTC>\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe“ -settings:„C:\<path to Config>\<copied config>.config“

Now you can start the RTC with the config you want to connect to the server you want.

Regards,
    egnaz
  • Options
    manjusreemanjusree Member Posts: 79
    Hi,

We are accessing classic client through remote desktop connection. Means, first we need to login to a terminal server situated at a far away location. All users have an access to this terminal server. We can access navision once we log into this terminal server. Will RTC work in this situation?. Can we use RTC in the same way we are accessing Classic client?. I have heard that RTC is session based and so it will not work in this environment. Is it correct?.

Regards,
    Manju
  • Options

Hi Luc Van Dyck,

Yes, I have read that walkthrough and have applied it successfully :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • Options
    Egnaz wrote:
    You have to modify the „clientusersettings.config“ (Standard path under Win7: C:\Users\“Benutzername“\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV)

For that you can copy this file to a directory you like and then change the paramters in the file.
    For example:
    <add key="Server" value="[DBSERVER]" />
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="[second instance]" />
    <add key="ServerPort" value="7048" />

And then you can create a second desktop icon with following start paramter:
    „C:\Program Files\<path to RTC>\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe“ -settings:„C:\<path to Config>\<copied config>.config“

Now you can start the RTC with the config you want to connect to the server you want.

Regards,
    egnaz

Hi Egnaz,

Thank you for understanding my goal.. :wink:
    I have tried your suggestion and it has worked successfully. Wow, you are amazing! :thumbsup:
    Thank you so much for your help :)
    Best regards,

Johanna