Options

RTC Reports Header Section in Visual Stuido

Mikey_MMikey_M Member Posts: 8
edited 2010-11-18 in NAV Three Tier
Hello all, I had a question about taking the reports in the classic version and making them work in RTC via Visual Studio.
So far I have been going to the object designer and I will have it create a layout suggestion for me. Now best case all I have to do is resize the rows and columns of the table to make it display correctly. More times than not the layout suggestion botches my report, and this is where i begin to run into trouble. Now from what i can tell the table cells that were created with red text,hidden and made very small correspond to the text boxes in the header section that star out with "Reporitems!" i.e "=ReportItems!COMPANYNAME.Value" comes from "=Fields!COMPANYNAME.Value" located in the table.
Now on the reports that the layout suggestion screws up i create a new table and position everything so it displays and prints correctly the header just says "#ERROR" in the texboxes where i would have things like the company name and anything that started with "Reporitems!". I coppied those red hidden fields to my table but i cannot see any difference between the table i made with the same exact fields as the layout suggestion table. I have coppied/pasted and have manually entered those fields in and i can't for the life of me figgure out how to get the text boxes in the header working. Anyone else figgure out how this works?

And on a side note does anyone know if this whole visual studio for making the reports thing is going to be the new standard? I only ask because I am not sure if it is even worth my time to learn how to do all this if i will not have to deal with it next year.

Comments

• Options
    hemantOnehemantOne Member Posts: 98
    Hi,

I think first you should understand how report header works in RTC from using any standard report.Actually ReportItems take values from Textbox Name i.e. ReportItem!Textbox Name.value
    Regards,
    Hemant
    They can conquer who believe they can
  • Options
    Mikey_MMikey_M Member Posts: 8
    I do agree i have a lot to learn about all this, and i will try that in the morning. Can you recomend any books or anything about making reports in RTC through visual studio?
  • Options
    azerty74azerty74 Member Posts: 82
    First I would advise you to RTM or C/Side reference guide. :D It contains some nice walktrough exercises on reports.
    This is also a good training: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us ... cale=en-us The MOC (manual) can be downloaded from Partnersource/Customersource. \:D/
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing code. Therefore if you write the code as cleverly as possible you are by definition not smart enough to debug it.