Options

Web Agents

mickukmickuk Member Posts: 47
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of working with the Navision database through any web scripting. I have done a little bit of searching on the forum and came accross the spellabs product, which i assume is written in ASP .Net (nice work people).

I'm curious to whether anyone has been able to use any other scripting languages such as PHP, JSP to work with the Navision database (accessing the flat file would be preffered compared to the MS SQL option as this is rather costly).

Just a thought?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Hi all,

I've been looking further into using different languages for querying the navision native database and noticed that on the source disk you are provided with a ODBC driver. Has anyone had any experience of using the C\ODBC driver provided with any other scripting languages other than ASP.Net :?:

Thanks in advance

Mick
  • Options
    Andrey.ChudinAndrey.Chudin Member Posts: 7
    mickuk wrote:
    (nice work people).

thank you ;)

You can use any server-side scripting language to create your own web.agent engine. We use asp(c#) for preprocessing http queries and interact with Navision App Server through MSMQ.

Do not use ODBC, it doesn't work correctly.
  • Options
    Andrey.ChudinAndrey.Chudin Member Posts: 7
    About using ODBC while working with Navision: this approach has a disadvantage of not making use of Navision logic. For axample, when you post a new record in a table you cannot fire OnInsert and OnValidate triggers.
  • Options
    Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the information. While researching C\ODBC i noticed (like you mention) that you are unable to use the triggers that are built into NF. You are certainly correct when you say this is a dissadvantage as tracking the logic of NF can be tedious work at times :P

I'll do a little bit more investigation and post what ever i find. It's nice to know that there is somewhere like this to discuss and post questions about NF as documentation is a bit sparse, especially when you move into a system that is heavily customised.