Options

Doubt with NAV web services and external development

FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
edited 2010-08-09 in NAV Three Tier
Good morning,

We are developing a process that involves the following:
An external warehouse to our customer sends a file via ftp. This file contains the serial numbers of the items of the purchase order. When the client receives the file will automatically be imported into NAV but i need register the order too.

My question is if I can add a function in the codeunit 81, publish this codeunit and access function with an external aplication to register the purchase/sales order? This solve me the problem.

Comments

• Options
    jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    For external access like that using webservices is a great idea. I'm not sure if I would expose some of the core posting processes like Codeunit 81 or 80 as web services. I think it would be much more secure to build a custom codeunit that is exposed as a web service that you use to do some simple validation of the data being submitted to the web service AND then have your custom codeunit call whichever codeunits are necessary to generate and post orders.

However I would seriously think about the architecture of exposing anything that calls a posting routine to the outside world. As posting is moving an uposted document into ledgers and finalizing part of a transaction that is normally something that should be initiated by a user or a process that originates from inside an organization. It could be risky to expose a process that now allows an outside party to control when a transaction with financial implications occurs.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • Options
    FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    Thx for your answer...

I have been trying to publish the WS but i have many troubles...

If you want you can help me here... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=43050