Options

NAV Server Accessible Via IP But Not Name?

thuntthunt Member Posts: 5
edited 2010-07-20 in NAV Three Tier
Working on an environment setup for a customer, I came across an odd issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it or has any explanation for it.

I set up a NAV server and a SQL server on the same box, and set the NAV server to look at the SQL server. When I try to access the NAV server via the RTC, I could not get to it when I entered the server name. This held true whether I used the simple server name (testserver) or the fully-qualified domain name (testserver.mycustomer.mycustomersdomain.net).

I received an error saying “A server was not found at ‘net.[url=tcp://testserver:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://testserver:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]’. Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available.”

However, once I tried to access the server by using the IP address instead of the name, it worked just fine.

I have seen this happen once before, on the same customer’s network, and I resolved it the same way. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would happen?

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    when you use ping to the name, is the returned IP same as you are using?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    thuntthunt Member Posts: 5
    When I do a ping, I get an IPv6 address, but I'm using an IPv4 address to access the server. Does NAV server not work with IPv6? If so, that seems like something MS should take care of.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Than try to disable the IP6 protocol in the Network card settings...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    This is a resolution I had with a similar issue, not sure if it helps :-

Your environemen was a 2 macine setup using a Virtual environment for you Service Tier and Database components. Your clients connect via a Virtual Server and when connection initiaolly connect fine, however you were not able to connect to the environment in the RTC without using the ip address. We removed and reinstalled the client and found that you could not setup the RTC to connect via FQDN. We removed and reinstalled the clinet and entered the RTC Settinsg using the ip address and were able to connect, but again are not able to reconnect from the RTC using the FQDN.

Upon further investigation you were using a Domain account with Domain Admin priviledges for your service tier account and a domain account for your SQL environment. We looked at the SPN's for the user account for ther Service Tier and there was no SPN Setup.

When using at 2 machine setup and a domain account you will have to create the SPN's for the domain account as described in the nav walkthrough for the 2 machine setup"

"However, the Network Service account is less secure because it is a shared account. Users who have rights to this account have rights to all services run by this account. Running the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service under a dedicated domain user account is the more secure option, although it requires additional configuration by a domain administrator. For more information, see the section about Configuring for a Domain User Account in Walkthrough: Installing the Three Tiers on Three Computers."

We switched your Service Account back to Network Service and the SQL server service accout back to Network Service and were able to connect to the environment using FQDN.

Base on this resolution we are closing this incident.