Options

SQL <-> Navision communication protocol

anvaranvar Member Posts: 30
edited 2010-07-07 in SQL General
Hello,

For a customer I need to know what communication protocol is used by SQL to communicate with Navision and/or this traffic is encrypted.
I've did a packet lookup with Wireshark and saw that the data was encrypted (correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards
Thomas

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    Why do you need to know that?

In theory you should always use TCP/IP. It is the fastest way to communicate.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    I must prove a customer that the traffic between the Navision client & the SQL isn't an open query. Or that the traffic is encrypted, so I'm trying to find all sort of information to give my client a perfect statement.
    Untill know I've learned that all the communication goes over tcp/ip port 1433 (sql standard) and that the begin communication is verified by 3 level handshake with the NTLM / Kerberos protocol. But I can't find any information on how the data is send or in what form or package.

So any information you could give me or point me in the right direction would be more then helpful.

regards
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    But you definitely have to use Windows logins because the database login passwords are NOT encrypted when they go over the network. I have to admit that I don't know how the data is in the packets.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    What version of NAV are you using?

NAV2009 RTC -

When set to EncryptAndSign to communications between the RTC and NST are encrypted using NetTCPBinding in the Transport security mechanisms in Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)

SQL Server can actually natively encrypt all communication to and from SQL server with SSL certificates, but with the current version of NAV you cannot currently leverage this. This will change in the next version, but for now IPsec is the recommendation for encrypting the communication between the NST and SQL

t
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    What am I not seeing here? I can see encryption being a possible issue if queries are executed over an open network (like the internet). but since any NAV queries would only be over the local network (which should have controlled access) is encryption really an issue?
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    TonyHTonyH Member Posts: 223
    Believe it or not it can be... one of my customers is in the financial sector and I had to answer the question of packet encryption... that's how I got the info I posted here..

I had the same thought you did :-

"But since any NAV queries would only be over the local network (which should have controlled access) is encryption really an issue?"

t
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Sorry to say I have to agree with bbrown. But like we say in dutch "klant is koning" (customer is king)...

The customer will be using the 2009 Classic client so not the RTC.

@ TonyH: I've also found the SSL certificate encryption but didn't I found any information how to implement it on the customer side.
    Do you have some more information how the packages are send? Or does the above information also goes for the classic client?