Printer Selection Doesn't Work After ANY Object Upload!

tankh008tankh008 Member Posts: 26
This issue is killing me now and I have no answer... Hope there is an expert who can help! The problem going like this;

My client has define set of userid to report to network printer under NAV4.0 Printer Selection table. It all work fine until recently, now once we upload ANY NAV object into their database (btw the are running SQL2000 on Windows 2003), the next moment print out from the client machine all went to client machine default printer and the well defined printer selection gone ignore. And user has to go to individual machine to select the report and specific paper size again... (user is printing different size report on different printer under one client machine) Then it work again until next object upload... Since we are talking about 30~40 machine every reset it become a very serious issue to my client. (Consider all the downtime, waste time, reset time, invoice not print, etc) :(:( ](*,)

Some one, any one, pls help me!

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Are you saying that the data disappears from the Printer Selection table?

Or that the records in the Printer Selection table are ignored?
  • tankh008tankh008 Member Posts: 26
    Hi matttrax, the record in Printer Selection table is intact, they are just being ignore... Hope you can shear me a light, thx!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) Aren't you using terminal services to run NAV?
    2) Are the printers used in printer selection still exist?
    3) Haven't you changed the user logins?
    4) Have you tried to debug the Codeunit 1 FindPrinter function if it is called and why it cannot find the printer selection?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    1) No. User are connect through domain and network cable to the server.
    2) Yes, most definately they are still exist. There are six printers at different location which is use by the user everyday.
    3) No. never change any user login since I dunno when, but at least 15~18 months they haven't been touch.
    4) No, I haven't try this option but I no customization is make on this codeunit, so logically speaking it should work. I shall try to debug when this problem next arise. But I doubt it will solved the problem...

Any other idea?

Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    And user has to go to individual machine to select the report and specific paper size again... (user is printing different size report on different printer under one client machine)

This is not what Printer Selection is doing, it just select the default printer if the report is called with correct parameters, Else the default win printer is used. That paper size etc. is lost is because the report is updated, thus settings in zup are lost for this object. May be it is just misunderstanding.

How the reports are started?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Sorry, I did not express myself correctly. The paper size is already set on the printer. We ask user re-confirm just to make sure the paper size is correct. The issue still remain that record exist in Printer Selection table but was ignore after ANY object upload. (those sales document that are define under printer selection table is not even include in the upload object...)

All those reports will be run when user post and print Sales Order.
  • einsTeIn.NETeinsTeIn.NET Member Posts: 1,050
    edited 2010-05-13
    Are you able to reproduce that issue on a test system? Did you try it with another version?
    "Money is likewise the greatest chance and the greatest scourge of mankind."
    No, I cannot reproduce it in my office or even thier test database hosting at the same SQL server at the customer site... I try version 5 n 2009 in my office and Printer Selection work fine on these two versions. I check the codeunit and they are the same in NAV 4, 5 n 2009 on FindPrinter func. So I am lost here... ](*,) I am thinking it maybe because of printer driver or something to do with Windows setting but I have no idea how to diagnoise if the problem lie on printer drive or Windows. Anyone has any suggestion?
    Yo, issue solved. I ask user to reselect their network printer under their defined Printer Selection table record. Thanks everyone!
  • lawsonharrylawsonharry Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to use terminal services to run NAV. But still, Printer selection doesn't work after any object upload. I think I need to set up and install an Epson wireless printer. Hope this will be fine.