Options

Authentication for DCO (Dynamics Client fr Office-Web Users)

najjanajja Member Posts: 67
edited 2009-09-23 in NAV Three Tier
Hello All,

On a typical setup where windows authentication is used I know we can use the AD user name for authentication even in DCO. Wondering how authentication is handled while using Web Services on a web-site scenario where the users are typically not windows users. I am publishing a web service which will do some updation for me based on a users input on a typical asp.net page. But how will I authenticate and give privileges to that particular user. May be this is simple but I am not able to find any articles on this. Is it like the NAS where the account using which the service runs is used for authentication, in which case I have to give access to the account which runs NAV Business Web Services service on the dynamics NAV server. But in this case how will I differentiate users? NAS is typically used for NEP where every users are Windows users and can be added into the appropriate group for Employee Portal users. But webservices will be used even other scenarios.

Looking for an expert advise

Najja

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The client who is using the webservice needs to authenticate himself to the webservice.The account must be some windows account which have access to the NAV itself. It means WebService will authenticate the user as if it is RTC running under the account. If the client use the actual user credentials or some other credentials it is on developer.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks Kine.

So did mean to say that every user who needs to access the NAV web service needs to be a domain member? Also can you eloborate on what you said in your reply:
    If the client use the actual user credentials or some other credentials it is on developer.

In my scenario, the website needs to update the NAV database on various instances. This will be a public website and we have purchase "external connector" license. How do I authenticate the webservice if the web application is being accessed by a non-domain users.

Thanks in Advance

Najja
  • Options
    It depends on how you are using "the client". If it is some app on IIS, it is running under some account and this will be the account used, not account of the Web Browser...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Kine,

Could you please eloborate on your reply.

The webservices are being used in IIS Apps (which most probably will be sitting in a different box). What did you mean by 'the account being used'.

Appreciate your help

Najja
  • Options
    I mean that the IIS app is running under some account, and this account will be used if the code doesn't say something else... all depends on how the app is working and how the security is set up on the application. I am not guru in that thus I cannot describe details...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.