Options

Importing contacts from an Excel-file

maegmaeg Member Posts: 5
Maybe a simple question but how do I import Contacts from an Excel file?
Please help me with this, I'm a Navision beginner! :roll:

Comments

• Options
    giulio.cipogiulio.cipo Member Posts: 77
    best solution, save excel file like txt delimited end import txt file
  • Options
    Sorry, but how do I import a textfile? Should I use Object Designer or what? Haven't found any import function...

//Magnus
  • Options
    alanperualanperu Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

The best option is to save the excel file as a .csv file. Then prepare a dataport with your dataport fields matching the columns in your spreadsheet. Then just run the dataport and point it to your .csv file.

If you are new to Navision you will need to read up the basics of dataports, but it is not too difficult. You basically pick a table to import/export to/from and then pick the fields you want to import/export.

Have a go and let me know if you need any more help.
  • Options
    Hi!
    Thanks for the help, I'm not allowed to create a new dataport. I have a Partner License, is that restricted in some way? Do I have to logon with a special account. I've created a user (myself) and gave the user SUPER rights. It seems like I can't do anything in object designer. Any ideas?

//Magnus
  • Options
    Edward_BloomfieldEdward_Bloomfield Member Posts: 155
    Hi Mangnus,

When you click the "New" button in the object designer, does it give you an error message? If so, you will need to check your Navision licence to ensure you have the report & dataport design granule:

7,110 Report & Dataport Designer

If you do not have it, you will have to either buy it or ask your NSC to develop the dataport for you.

If you can create a dataport, but cannot save it, it is probably becuase you are using a number you are not allowed to use, try using a number between 50000 to 50099.

Hope this is of some help!
    Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
    Theta