Options

Unable to access the NAV 2009 role tailored client

Apps_ConsultantApps_Consultant Member Posts: 10
edited 2009-08-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,

I have installed NAV 2009 (Demonstration version) and am currently unable to access the role tailored client (RTC). I am still able to access both the SQL and CSIDE versions without issue.

I must point out that I was able to access the RTC for a period of time after installing it initially. I logged on and off the role tailored client a number of times without problem (and was really enjoying the new version) but now cannot.

Here's a history of what happened so you know excatly what I've done.

Day 1
1) Installed demo version of NAV 2009
2) Opened up CSIDE Classic without issue.
3) Tried to open SQL Classic version but was unable (trace flag 4616 issue).
4) Corrected Trace flag 4616 issue but still unable to open SQL classic version as there was a new error 'extended stored procedure xp_ndo_enumusersids in the library file xp_ndo.dll, is not available'.
5) Corrected extended stored procedure issue. I was now able to access both the classic SQL (making sure my windows login was set up with the SUPER role) and the RTC version which was fantastic!
6) I logged on and off a few times and thought all issues were sorted.

Day 2

1) Tried to open RTC and could not getting the warning message:

The program could not create a connection to the server. Do you want to try again? Yes/No

2) I clicked Yes to re-try but without success.

3) On clicking No, the 'Connect to Server' screen appears.

4) In the server name field, I left the default connection details as 'Localhost/Dynamics NAV' and clicked Connect to server.

This didn't work and I received the error below:

'A server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://localhost:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://localhost:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available'.

5) As I am still able to connect to the SQL Classic version on a server named 'PC', the database on the server being 'Demo Database NAV (6-0), I thought I'd try a different tack.

With

i) a server named PC
ii) a service which I understand to be called SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

I went back to the 'Connect to Server' screen and entered 'PC/SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)' in the Server name field and clicked Connect.

I got another error.

The server PC/SQL Server (MS SQLServer) is not a valid URL. The correct usage is: Server/ServiceName or Server:PortNumber/ServiceName

If anyone could give me some advice on how to sort out this issue, I'd be most grateful. In summary, I can access the Classic SQL and CSIDE demo databases without problem but am not able to access the RTC anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Standard URL for connection is "<servername>/DynamicsNAV" if I remember correctly...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I have tried to enter what you suggested but without success unfortunately but you’re right in your suggestion. I double checked on the DVD and the details are to be entered in the format servername:port/ServerInstance. Reading through the details on the installation DVD, entering localhost/DynamicsNAV should open up NAV but it doesn’t in my case.
    I think my understanding of how I can identify the servername and server instance on my system might be at fault as I am not a technical person.
    If I give you a bit more information, maybe you could help me determine the correct details to enter when connecting to the server.
    I installed NAV onto a laptop without SQL so SQL 2005 was installed on the laptop. The name of the SQL Server shown in the SQL Server Configuration Manger is SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER). That said, when I connect to the SQL Classic database successfully. I am connecting to a server called PC and the database is called Demo Database NAV (6-0).
    I also installed SQL Server Management Studio Express as I needed to make some changes to extended Stored Procdeures and the server is shown there with the name PC (SQL Server 9.0.3042 – PC\th). This leads me to beliwve that the server is called PC but as I said, I am not a technical person and am unsure.
    Are you able to tell from these details what I should be entering when trying to connect to the RTC?
    I have tried combinations based on the above but noneof them work. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you.
  • Options
    How did you install NAV 2009? Have you used the installation of Demo? Or you have started other types of installations?

Because to be able to use RTC you need to have something called "NAV Service tier". If you installed DEMO, it should be installed on your PC and you can connect to it by using "PC/DynamicsNAV". But if it was not installed (e.g. because there could be some issues running the service tier on your PC) or if this service is not running correctly, you cannot connect the RTC.

If you open Taks Manager (run -> taskmgr.exe) and you check the Services tab, there must be service with name "MicrosoftDynamcisNavServer". If there is no such service, the service is not running because some problems or because was not installed. You should check for possible errors in Event Log (run -> eventvwr). It should tell more why you cannot connect or run the service tier.

I know that the description is bit technical, but in this case, without any IT support, it is hard to find what is wrong.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks very much, I shall give it a go. I'll let you know how things transpire.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the direction. I have had a good bash at sorting this issue out but to no avail unfortunately.

To answer your question, I selected the standard Demonstration option on my laptop and there were no other versions of NAV on the laptop. There is nothing relating to NAV which has not come from the Demo DVD.

When I ran task manager, I could not see a tab called Services so could not check for the MicrosoftDynamicsNavserver service in the way you described. However, when I looked within the SQL Server Configuration Manager (which I assume was installed form the NAV DVD), I could only see 2 services, one called SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) and the other SQL Server Browser.

I then checked in Program Files under the Dynamics NAV folder and located a folder named SERVICE which had a host of files named Microsoft.Dynamics.NAV.Server which led me to believe that the service may well have been installed.

I also looked under the Database server folder and ran the SERVER.exe file and got the error ‘The Program is unable to connect to the server’s process’. ‘this is because the server is running as a service using a system account. Run the client using the network instead’.

I checked the event log after trying to connect to the server having entered PC/DynamicsNAV and this is what I found.

A warning for Microsoft.Dynamics.NAV.Server
    Type: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.NavServerNotFoundException
    SuppressMessage: False
    FatalityScope: None
    Message: A server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://pc:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://pc:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available.
    StackTrace:
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ServiceConnection.OpenConnectionInternal(ConnectFailedEventArgs connectFailedArg)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ServiceConnection.OpenConnection()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.Forms.ChangeServiceTierForm.ConnectToUrl(String url)
    Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ServiceConnection
    Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    ErrorCode: 10061
    Message: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it IP addres:7046
    SocketErrorCode: ConnectionRefused
    NativeErrorCode: 10061
    StackTrace:
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SocketConnectionInitiator.Connect(Uri uri, TimeSpan timeout)
    Source: System

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

I also found an error against MSSQLSERVER

CB::RemoveAlternateStreams: Operating system error (null) occurred while creating or opening file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Database\Demo Database NAV (6-0)_Data.MDF'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Hopefully, this can shed some light for you. I can still use the Classic SQL and Classic CSIDE databases without issue by the way.

I know it is hard to give advice as I have not been able to provide the technical information which you probably need. If you have any ideas though, please let me know.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Hi,

You pointed me in the right direction and I started thinking about the service tier. I went back to the NAV DVD, ran the Service tier set up and did a repair.

It is now working! Hooray!

Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it
  • Options
    You are welcome! I see that you have new IT experience which can be handy for you in future... 8)

I am happy that you have sorted it out and solved your problem.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have learned some handy tricks! Thanks again.
  • Options
    Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    IF it happens again one of the first things to check is the Service Teir service. It may be shut down and even if its not it may be worth restarting. I find if the SQL server has restarted soemtimes the NAV Service doesn't reconnect correctly.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • Options
    mouliyadavmouliyadav Member Posts: 9
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments guys. I'll check out that the NAV 2009 blog too - thanks for the link.

I actually had the same problem as experienced previously after shutting down the laptop. I did a repair on the service tier again from the DVD and it worked. I think this must be having the same effect as restarting the service as suggested by Ian.

With the combination of SQL Server Configuration Manager (installed from the NAV DVD) and SQL Server Management Studio Express I downloaded and installed, I can't seem to see a list of services to restart so it looks as if I'll need to keep with this method for when I shut down the laptop.

Have many people out there (and their clients) had similar issues to the one I've experienced? I am slightly concerned that customers may have similar issues with the RTC were a copy left with them at the prospect stage.

That said, I really like the RTC now I've got it going!

Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    SQL management is just about SQL services. You need to go into Administrative tools and look for Services there (Control panel - Adminsitrative tools - Services). You can find the service there and you can check the settings... (Running, Stopped etc.)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Thanks for that and thanks for all your advice Kamil.
  • Options
    Hi,

Hopefully this will help you and you'll soon be up and running.

To resolve the issue, I followed the information on the blog you'll find at the address below. It was posted by Lars Lohndorf of Microsoft in the UK and is very clear. I followed it as a non-technical person and it worked.

http://community.dynamics.com/blogs/navemeadeveloper/archive/2008/11/05/basic-sql-creating-extended-stored-procedure-xp-ndo-dll.aspx

Before you make the changes though, you will need to make sure that you have SQL Server 2005 or later installed on your machine. The components of SQL installed from the NAV DVD do not provide the functionality you need to make these changes - I did not have SQL Server on my laptop so had to download SQL Express 2005 from the Microsoft download site. It's free fortunately!

Once you have SQL Server installed, lauch SQL Server and follow the steps outlined.

Good luck!