Options

Importance of client DBMS Cache?

arcullarcull Member Posts: 191
Hi everyone. From the nav documentation I've re read that dbms cache on the client side increases performance, because of less reads from server. Now I wonder:
-if it makes any sense increasing it when using database without server, just local client mode.
-does it increase performance on working with temporary tables (local, server mode)
-what else would it be good for

Any help, much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Options
    matteo_montanarimatteo_montanari Member Posts: 189
    arcull wrote:
    Hi everyone. From the nav documentation I've re read that dbms cache on the client side increases performance, because of less reads from server. Now I wonder:
    -if it makes any sense increasing it when using database without server, just local client mode.
    -does it increase performance on working with temporary tables (local, server mode)
    -what else would it be good for

Any help, much appreciated, thanks

Hi

Client DBMS is used only when you directly open a database as a file (not via server).
    Changing this value on a client/server configuration is useless.

Bye

Matteo
    Reno Sistemi Navision Developer
  • Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    The value is still important if you run a report which uses temp tables. For the real tables on the server, the dbms value is not important.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The setting has nothing to do with Temp tables. It is strictly used for local DB.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    bbrown wrote:
    The setting has nothing to do with Temp tables. It is strictly used for local DB.

I am not sure, but when you are connected to the NAV server, server has the DBMS cache. But if you are working with temp table, local DBMS (the DB management system) is used like when working with local database, thus local DBMS cache is used... but this deduction is based on some implications.... :-k
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I believe the temp tables just use workstation memory. I'm just basing this on experience. I've had a situation where a process broke because my temp table exceeded 2 GB in size. That's the memory limit of the local operating system. I definitely did not have 2 GB of DBMS cache.

Maybe someone from MS can clarify this for us.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    DBMS cache is not about the data... it is just cache... between storage and rest... of course, in case of storing the data into memory is the cache may be just overhead, but I will not be surprised if all is used in same way like when local DB is used, with only different storage target. But again, this is just my assumption, nothing based on some facts... :whistle:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.