Offsite Access to NAV 2009

BrentTBrentT Member Posts: 3
edited 2009-06-03 in NAV Three Tier
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some info into the following scenario:

Small client, 2 tier setup using SQL. All of the users have been on the same local LAN up till now.

They want to have access to the application for several people out of the office/mobile workers that may be in office and out of office with notebooks.

Is there anyway to use the RTC to connect over web services back to the office over the internet? This would keep user confuzion to a minimum as then they don't need to use a terminal server outside the network and the local install when inside the network.

Anyone else had this problem or found a workable solution?

Thanks
Brent

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    BrentT wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some info into the following scenario:

Small client, 2 tier setup using SQL. All of the users have been on the same local LAN up till now.

They want to have access to the application for several people out of the office/mobile workers that may be in office and out of office with notebooks.

Is there anyway to use the RTC to connect over web services back to the office over the internet? This would keep user confuzion to a minimum as then they don't need to use a terminal server outside the network and the local install when inside the network.

Anyone else had this problem or found a workable solution?

Thanks
    Brent

Not sure what the confusion is, but if you don;t like Terminal Server, then use Citrix.

I am a bit confused my self that your company would pay salaries to people that can't actually determine if they are in the office or not. :whistle:
    David Singleton
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The RTC is supposed for LAN. Using it over WAN can lead to problems. The communication is lighter than for classic client, but e.g. printing reports can be problematic, because there is bigger volume of data transfered over network. If you do not have 1Mbps line as minimum for the user, I will definitely recommend using terminal services (RDP, citrix). If you have quicker line, still I will recommend to use terminal services if possible..
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • BrentTBrentT Member Posts: 3
    The business logic behind the request is that they sales people that want to enter contacts, quotes and orders when on-site a clients. I don't mind TS or citrix, I only have 2 people that have this requirement so a whole TS or citrix setup for these 2 people is a bit much.

thanks Kine, you don't happen to have a ms KB# that may help me do you?
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    take a look at Outlook sync feature. This allows the sales people to sync contacts with NAV contacts. They can enter the data in outlook.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n