Options

NAV2009 installation error

havhav Member Posts: 299
edited 2009-05-19 in NAV Three Tier
Hi all,
I tried installing NAV2009 latest release with Developer Environment instalation option.
At the end of installation i get following error:
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Build 27808
Error Report
SQL Server option
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Components for Microsoft SQL Server
Fatal error during installation.

Error -2147217865: failed to execute SQL string, error detail: Invalid object name 'master.sys.objects'., SQL key: DropXpNdoGroups SQL string: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM [master].[sys].[objects] WHERE name = 'xp_ndo_enumusergroups') EXEC sp_dropextendedproc xp_ndo_enumusergroups
Cronus Sample Database for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
Fatal error during installation.

Error -2147217865: failed to execute SQL string, error detail: Invalid object name 'master.sys.databases'., SQL key: StopIfDatabaseExist SQL string: IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM [master].[sys].[databases] WHERE name = 'Demo Database NAV (6-0)') RAISERROR (N'A database with name %s already exists.',20,1,'Demo Database NAV (6-0)') WITH LOG

Also i do no see any demo db. attached to my SQL Server.

Pls resolve.

Regards,
Hemant
Regards,
Hemant
MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)

Comments

• Options
    quibblerquibbler Member Posts: 9
    Hi I just installed this today, and got the same error when uninstall/reinstall again as the database was actuaclly installed the first time, please check all you instances on the SQL server

could be just on the instance = local or Computername

So when you connect to the SQL server through Management Studio you could try to login to localhost or "Computername" which were where I found mine database.
    Senior Development Manager, Supply Chain Box at Abakion A/S with 10+ years of experience as Developer
    Email: mra@abakion.com

• Options
    It seems my machine has only SQL Express instance and no Server instance.
    Is it that NAV2009 runs on Server instance only?

If so, i will have to install SQL Server 2005.
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    I ran into this problem as well and had to manually attach the db.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Søren_GrubovSøren_Grubov Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 4
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 supports SQL Express so you dont need to install SQL 2005 Server
  • Options
    Note that i was using Win'XP 2002 SP3 machine for installing Developer Environment option of NAV2009.
    The SQL Express was there on this machine but still i was getting the error.
    I think only NAV2009 RTC can be installed on SQL Express. In order to install NAV Server or Database Server, we need Server OS containing SQL Server.

I tried installaling NAV2009 on Windows Server 2003 having SQL Server 2005.
    The installation completed smoothly without any error.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • Options
    Søren_GrubovSøren_Grubov Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 4
    Database Server requires no SQL Server.

The new Dynamics NAV Server is connected to a SQL Server that can be either SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008 or SQL Express.

The error message is from installing "Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 Components for Microsoft SQL Server" witch is a component that will setup the SQL Server for Dynamics NAV.
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    I don't know if these commands are public knowledge - but I use these all the time, when running on a machine with SQL Express:
    sqlcmd -Q "select name from sys.databases;"

gives me a list of the databases in my SQL Express.
    sqlcmd -Q "sp_detach_db [Demo Database NAV (6-0)];"

detaches the Demo Database
    sqlcmd -Q "sp_attach_db [Demo Database NAV (6-0)],[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Database\Demo Database NAV (6-0)_Data.MDF],[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Database\Demo Database NAV (6-0)_Data_Log.LDF];"

attaches the Demo Database
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    lgplgp Member Posts: 77
    freddy.dk wrote:
    I don't know if these commands are public knowledge - but I use these all the time, when running on a machine with SQL Express:
    sqlcmd -Q "select name from sys.databases;"

gives me a list of the databases in my SQL Express.
    sqlcmd -Q "sp_detach_db [Demo Database NAV (6-0)];"

detaches the Demo Database
    sqlcmd -Q "sp_attach_db [Demo Database NAV (6-0)],[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Database\Demo Database NAV (6-0)_Data.MDF],[C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Database\Demo Database NAV (6-0)_Data_Log.LDF];"

attaches the Demo Database

Hi - I'm getting the same error. I'm not too familiar with SQL Express. Where would I enter these commands?
    Thanks!
    Leanne G. Paul
    Business Applications/IT Advisor, Competitive Edge Services
  • Options
    carthi1985carthi1985 Member Posts: 13
    Hi - I'm getting the same error. I'm not too familiar with SQL Express. Where would I enter these commands?

Is this issue solved???
    Thanks & Regards
    Pradeep Kumar
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Some really good news from The MiBuSo conference is that the NAV PG team are working extensively on a new installer for NAV 2009 SP1. They know there are issues, they have listened, and they are now fixing it. Be patient, because SP1 really is going to be a great product. \:D/
    David Singleton
  • Options
    lgplgp Member Posts: 77
    carthi1985 wrote:

Is this issue solved???

Yes, I worked with Microsoft to get it up and running. Good to hear they are working on some changes for SP1.
    Leanne G. Paul
    Business Applications/IT Advisor, Competitive Edge Services
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    The SQL Express was there on this machine but still i was getting the error.

I suspect then, from your error message, that this SQL instance on your machine is a SQL Server 2000. So the reference to the sys.databases in the installer script will not work.

You need a 2005 or 2008 instance.

In 6.0 a SQL Express 2005 will be installed by the installer if there is no instance on the machine, but since you have one it tried to use it.

As David mentioned, the installer has had many such problems resolved in SP1, and includes the ability to give a named SQL instance to install the Demo database to and configure the NAV Server for use with.

Additionally, the installer no longer attaches a Demo database file to SQL Server, but restores a SQL backup of the demo database and also installs that backup to your machine. That means if you need to create a new database and would like all the demo database objects, you don't have to restore an .fbk file anymore - you can SQL restore the SQL backup file - which takes about 20 seconds. I do this kind of thing quite a lot and its a big time saver.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.