Options

Functionality lost in NAV 2009 RTC

TronholmTronholm Member Posts: 22
edited 2009-05-04 in NAV Three Tier
As a NAV Partner, we are discovering some lost functionality in NAV 2009 RTC:

1. No Style Sheets for Word (http://blogs.msdn.com/nav_developer/arc ... -word.aspx).
2. Budget Export/Import to/from Excel.
3. GANTT planning schedule.

It might be useful to have a complete list of lost or changed functionality and not covered by official documentation.

Comments

• Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Why would Xgant not work anymore? The only thing what was created was a xmlfile and then a call to a dll.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, but the DLL run in some context, and by default the dll is created on the NST, which is "somewhere far" from the user... ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    ok, but I thought there was a new parameter to say "run on client"?
  • Options
    BardurKnudsenBardurKnudsen Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 137
    Client side instantiation of automation servers does work on the Role Tailored Client (RTC) by supplying an extra parameter in the CREATE function ("TRUE"), except for call-back events from the automation server. Since the Gantt chart / Production Schedule (which is controlled from codeunit 5500) relies heavily on events from the automation server, it was decided to take it out from RTC.

Export/Import of budgets should work as before - it's just the navigation to the page that handles it, that may not be intuitive. You can access it from the "matrix" from that shows the budget - there it should be available as actions.
    Bardur Knudsen
    Microsoft - Dynamics NAV
  • Options
    Yes, but may be question is, where is the context? If the Business logic is on the NST, how NST knows in which state is the RTC? If I clicked on the DLL etc.? Is there special communication behind? That all can complicate that and I think that it is why there are limits on Automations you can run on the RTC...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    edited 2008-12-19
    So you can send NAV data to office,msproject or other dll on your PC but receiving the result (events) don't work anymore.

Send to style sheet should work then..but the style sheet tool not because this functionality first uses xml automation and then office automation?

There are a lot of solutions using automation to communicate with other hardware. This can not be replaced by using webservices (not standard in the license too). Are there new examples of how to communicate in RTC?
  • Options
    freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Events from the service tier is kind of tricky. The Service Tier is normally not doing a lot of stuff (unless the client tells it to) - it is listening and whenever the Client invokes a call to the Service Tier, there can be call-backs to the client (like instantiaing a COM automation object on the client and calling out to that) before the original Service Tier call is completed.

Once completed the Service Tier isn't doing a lot of stuff on behalf of the user - it remembers the state of the user and is prepared for the user doing the next thing.

I don't think we want the service tier to be able to spawn events (while idle) to clients in the network.

I do think we want to solve problems (like the Gantt think) using some kind of extensibility model for the RTC - instead of trying to force the new client into supporting the same behavior as the classic client.

My $0.02
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • Options
    TronholmTronholm Member Posts: 22
    Another one: 'copy link', 'send link to desktop', 'send link by email' .... Really a shame, this was such a nice feature in 5.0.

This is by now my list of relevant lost functionality:
    1. Style Sheets for Word
    2. GANTT planning schedule.
    3. 'Copy link', 'send link ...'
    4. Find in forms / pages (Ctrl-F)
    5. PgUp / PgDown in card forms / pages to navigate to other records.

I really hope the NAV guys at MS do improve these issues.
  • Options
    AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Sorry to re-raise this topic so late.

I no longer work on NAV, but I help out on these forums and the other day my VPC of 5 corrupted so in the spirit of adventure I downloaded NAV2009.

In 4 and 5 we had the production journal from the line of the production order showing consumption and output in one journal. It seems in NAV2009 it has reverted back to the pre-4 days and the journals are once again separate - or am I simply missing where the journal now is in the new interface :D
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    To see the production journal. Select the line and click on the Action Button (Lighting icon) . Select line Option then Production Journal. It will show both consumptions and output.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi Rashed

I missed the lightening strike on the line section, I had gone through the header options!!

I believe the new interface will take me a lot to get used to as I no longer use NAV - should be fun. :D

Thanks for the guidance.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • Options
    you are welcome. I hope they add a shortcut for the lightening icon. I don't think you can access it with keyboard.
    I think everybody using classic is going through that cycle.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    You can, it is not on he list, but it works: Alt+F10
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    You can, it is not on he list, but it works: Alt+F10

Thanks
    Two issues I see with this.
    One If you hide certain fields on header, the fast tab gets a (lighting icon), and Alt+F10 actually opens that as well.
    Second you have to move the control to the subform fast tab to make Alt+F10 to work.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    Yes, but how do you want to activate the menu of the subpage without getting focus first when you have page with more subpages, which is possible now? When you want to have good design, you need to propagate the main functions to the header page to have them on the ribbon.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
    HI all,

I want to know how to use ZOOM in RTC?

any idea?
  • Options
    There is no default functionality like zoom in the RTC for now... sorry...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    mohana_cse06mohana_cse06 Member Posts: 5,503
  • Options
    Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Has anyone figured out how to access Sales and Purchase Line level functionality eg Dimensions, Item Availability, Item Tracking Lines, Item Charge Assignments etc?

I am also having a bit of an issue in BanK reconciliations when I select a Rec line and click Apply Entries I get the entries for the first line of the rec not the line I am on unless I force the focus to the line by OPening the Applied Amount window first.

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • Options
    Alt+F10 (it will activate the Flash icon on the FastTab for the subpage...)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Thank you. I missed that on the Flash ](*,)

Now if I can just get the issue in Bank Reconciliation cracked I'll be really happy
    Regards

Ian