Options

Database problem

kaikai Member Posts: 9
I have a customer with a 3.70 native database who get's the error
Other concurrent activities have reused the available space in the database that contained your snapshot of data. This can occur in connection with time-consuming tasks such as printing or making backups.
Wait until there are fewer concurrent updates of the database and try again.

If this occurs often, you should create more available space in the database. You can create more space in the database by:

* Expanding the database.
* Deleting unnecessary data.
* Date compressing older, non-current entries.
* Optimizing the database.

The error appears about twice a day on different clients and causes the client to abort.
The database has about 80% free space, so the reason given in the message doesn't seem to fit.
It even happens on clients with no activity, i.e. only the menu is opened.

So what can be the cause of the error?
There is one special thing at this client: They have an Navisions Application Server service that update some tables once per second.

Kai

Comments

• Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    Hi,

What is that 'per second' update? why per second? and why NAS?

Are you sure you want it to make it per second?

Try disabling the NAS for a day , during the weekend maybe, and check if the message occurs again...

Can you post the actual size of your db?
  • Options
    The application server is part of an CTI solution and transfers incoming phone calls into the Navision DB, so a regular and fast update is necessary.

But the CTI solution is Navision certified and in use at various other sites. According to the vendor such an error has never occured before.

We will try and stop the NAS, but since it's not clear when the error will occur the conclusion no NAS -> no error, so NAS is the cause can't be made.

Kai
  • Options
    eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    What actions are done in the update. Gimme the code, or a good overview of what is being updated.

I think the update function is doing something that it shouldn't do. Or maybe you should just expand the database... But that's more a workaround
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."
  • Options
    They have a database with 400MB, two parts of 200MB each.
    44% of part 1 are used and 1% of part 2.
    I somehow doubt that expanding a not even half full database will help.

I can't publish the code that is executed by the NAS for legal reasons but it does something like

Read CTI Setup (containing last ID of call read from SQL Server)
    Read new phone calls out of SQL Server database
    Insert calls into CTI call table
    Classify call by reading CTI Phone No. table which contains relation phone no. -> contact no, customer no, vendor no.
    Move call into the CTI User table depending the user the call is directed at.
    Update CTI Setup table

None of the tables updated were in use by the client where the error occured.
    The error even occured once when attempting to exit the navision client and the last incoming call was about 15 minutes earlier.

I don't understand the techical background of the error message, has it to do with locking or heavy contention of a database area?

Kai
  • Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    The cause of the problem is when someone has got a large amout of data and has occupied most of the free space of the db (like a large report that gets and uses the latest version of recs), and another thread tries to update something and the db has no available space to insert the new version of the data.

Look at the Event viewer, maybe the NSC has placed an error by NAS that something strange happened.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Minimum recomanded free space in Native DB is 25%. Please, keep the database maximum filled to 75%... some space must be free for commit cache and other temporary tables...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hm, the error occurred once again. It happened on a client with no activity, only main menu and Extras/Options were opened for some hours.
    The moment when Extras/Options window was closed the error occured, i.e. no write activity at all, right?

This is really strange.

Kai
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    But this is caused with some other user which is running some batch or is working. The application read object etc. and do some other actions which need space in DB...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.