Options

Report Generation Duration

jmlozaresjmlozares Member Posts: 110
I have created a report showing the Top Selling Supplier by Sales, I have reviewed everything in the source code and found it all right. My concern is that; it took that long (about 30 min) for the report to be generated.

What are the factors affecting for the report to be generated that long?
Janderol Lozares Jr.
Manila, Phils.

Comments

• Options
    eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    edited 2005-01-05
    You could have choosen the wrong solution to make the report. This could result in "overlooping" data. With that I mean, looping to many records. Sample:

If you want to display all sales amounts in a period you need to loop the customer entries with a filter. If you could loop the customers first and per customer display the entries, you would loop the customer table without it being nessesairy.

Or maybe you just choose the wrong keys! The report is "loop perfect" nut keys aren't there or not selected. This can slowdown a 1 second report to days!
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."
  • Options
    jmlozaresjmlozares Member Posts: 110
    Yeah, you're right. I just forgot to set the right key.

Thanks Man!!
    Janderol Lozares Jr.
    Manila, Phils.
  • Options
    eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    Good....

When choosing a wrong key, or not set one, you should see the a record counter in the statusbar in the bottom of the report.

This is a pretty good indication of a wrong key being set. If you ever see this message in the statusbar again. Just turn on your client monitor and see what key is missing!

Good luck!
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."