Can't Transform Base Forms

matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
edited 2009-02-17 in NAV Three Tier
Trying to go through the example of transforming the Customer Card form to a page, but when I get to the last step of importing the XML file it says I don't have permission. I can create Pages in the 50000 range, but can't convert existing forms.

Did Microsoft forget something in our license, like they frequently do? Or should I be doing something else?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    matttrax wrote:
    Trying to go through the example of transforming the Customer Card form to a page, but when I get to the last step of importing the XML file it says I don't have permission. I can create Pages in the 50000 range, but can't convert existing forms.

Did Microsoft forget something in our license, like they frequently do? Or should I be doing something else?

This sounds like how Navision has worked as long as I can remember, i.e. that its not possible to create objects in the standard number range.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can only create objects in that range by importing them from a fob file. Import the pages from a standard Cronus database first
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I guess I misunderstood when I heard that going from 5.0 to 2009 was just a technical upgrade. I was under the impression that no existing tables were changed, but now I see even Company Information has new fields in it. A purely technical release isn't really true when I'm finding new fields, tables gone, etc. Maybe I downloaded the wrong database or something.

To me technical upgrade is to upgrade the executables. NAV will then take any actions needed to run your version of the database on those executables. If I'm having to merge and create objects that's a full upgrade to me.

I know upgrades aren't easy, but I thought the whole point of going to 5.0 SP1 was so that we didn't have to do this again to go to 2009.
    A technical upgrade means you are only installing the new program files, and you're not upgrading any of the objects. Going from 5.0 to 2009, a technical upgrade would mean to use the NAV 2009 Classic Client only. If you want to be able to use the RTC, you will at least have to transform the forms, and probably do object upgrade to some extent. You'd also have to address report transformation.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Don't get me wrong, I completely expected to have to go through form / report transformation. And everything else that comes with getting the RTC working. That's all fine.

My issue comes from the fact that I have to merge objects...again. As everyone knows it's an extremely time consuming and boring process. I heard multiple times that upgrading to 5.0 SP1 before 2009 came out was the correct path and would make the transition easier. Now it just appears that I'll be doing double work.

Comparing tables from Cronus 5.0 to 2009 shows code changes in even the most basic of objects like Company Information. Hopefully going more in depth will show that these changes are not as numerous as they look like.

Sorry to rant, it's just very frustrating to think you're taking the correct path when you're not.
    ](*,)
    Yes I understand your frustration and I agree that it is very unfortunate. When they came out with the news that NAV2009 would have the same code base as 5.0 SP1 I actually cringed. I'm sure that the code changes are not nearly as invasive as they have been with other new versions, but still, when you expect it to be nothing, it's annoying when you have to do two merges after all.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Todd Bergeson from MS came to give a speech on NAV 2009 and told us the same story that the path is to upgrade to 5.0 Sp1, and then upgrade to NAV 2009 and since no changes have happened between 2009 and 5.0 Sp1 you will not loose any work.

I told him that it's not true, and that 100's of forms that have changed. and 100's of bug fixes after 5.0 sp1. And that all the table version have 6.0 in them so you'll have to merge all your objects again, but nothing changed .
    They are looking at it from selling more product and upgrades.

The sad part is that Some management in my company still believe and still tell customers to upgrade to 5.0 sp1 and then to 2009. Even though 2009 has been released. :shock:
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n