Latency and Bandwidth requirements for RTC

sim0nsim0n Member Posts: 13
edited 2009-02-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

I've looked long and hard in the install files for this information without luck.

Does anyone know the latency and bandwidth required for the role tailored client? I have a situation where the customer has asked if running the system across as WAN is feasible.

Normally I would suggest using terminal services or citrix but want to get an idea as to whether the RTC will run without these?

Thanks

Answers

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Requirements are same like for classic client. May be that the average bandwidth is smaller than with classic client, but still LAN is the requirements for good performance of many clients.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    sim0n wrote:
    I have a situation where the customer has asked if running the system across as WAN is feasible.

Just Say No!
    David Singleton
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Over a T1 connection it is definitely faster than the client, but still painfully slow in many places. I use it for updating time - usually 1 to 3 entries. List forms are fairly decent. Definitely not for normal processing.
    Use Employee Portal or one of the third party add ons to get a decent speed for data entry and reports.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    The thing is though... when it's just one user, waiting 5 seconds to open a lookup list might be acceptable. When there are multiple users though, the person waiting for the lookup to open is holding up other users as well. Now imagine 15 users all looking up stuff, that's a blocking nightmare.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I was going to make the same comment as Daniel. Infact I think I did some where on another thread. This really is not a good thing to do. I have seen scenarios like this where a long chain of locking comes form one person that was "just entering a line on a journal" ignoring things like Dimensions that then block every one else.

its always important to remember that if the system is slow for you, then you are probably slowing it down for everyone.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Similar story:
    This customer was experiencing very bad slowdowns, but not always. We spent probably two weeks examining the system, implemented the latest hotfixes, tweaked some of the indexes, rewrote a bunch of code, and still, every once in a while performance would just go down the drain. What got me stumped was that every time I was onsite, the problem never occurred. During my 3rd or 4th visit we finally saw the problem in action.

Turned out that they had this room in the back of their warehouse for mobile people. This one sales rep, when he was in the office, had to run several reports that put quite a bit of strain on the system, with a lot of data but also sending it out to a shared printer. This would not have been too bad if he'd just plug into the wall. Instead, he used the wireless hub that the IT department used, on the other side of the building, for internal purposes (internal as in "for their room only"). He was on a 'one bar' connection, and always ignored the message "limited connectivity" because he thought that was for the internet only. We plugged him in, and the problem went away. They still had other performance issues, but the problem of this intermittent slowdowns went away.

We never knew about this guy, or even the back room, until later, because for some reason he was never in when I was on site, and they didn't think that someone that only logs in once every so often can cause a problem like that. This person was such a 'light user' that he was not thought to be the cause of this issue. Never mind that the reports he ran were pretty heavy reports.

Moral of the story: one bad connection can screw up the entire system. Even the worst blocks are usually caused by one connection. Put in place a solid connection for everyone and you should be able to eliminate that as a performance bottleneck.
  • sim0nsim0n Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.