NAV 4 SP3 and NAV 2009 on same machine

slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
edited 2009-02-17 in NAV Three Tier
Hi
For the first time, I am trying to install NAV 2009 on my laptop and wanted to keep current installation of NAV 4 SP3 also.
Is it possible?

I need to develop in NAV 4 SP3 while learning NAV 2009 development and features

Sorry, I couldn't find a previous discussion on this subject

TIA
"A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    The easiest thing is using a virtual maschine image ;-)
    So you have ever a "clean" system.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    There are a lot of posts about that subject, so if you use the search you'll find lots of information.

What's different for this version though, is that you have to first uninstall all existing versions that are installed on your computer. Then you install NAV 2009. For older versions you can use the trick where you copy the client folder to your computer, and you run the older versions from their executables, without having them actually installed.

I agree with Garak though, putting the older versions into a VPC, and having NAV 2009 as the only installed version on your actual computer is a setup worth looking into. You could even have one VPC with NAV 2009 and one with the older versions. I've had to re-install Vista three times now, and have been thinking about that very solution myself.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    DenSter wrote:
    I've had to re-install Vista three times now

Thats the reason why i use VPC images if there are big version changes.
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • slmaluwaslmaluwa Member Posts: 358
    Ok,
    It seems the VPC is the way to go. I think it will also help us to test remote connection and webservices

Thank you
    "A bove maiore discit arare minor"-"From the old ox, the young one learns to plow."
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    You what?

There's no problem at all installing all the classic client versions at the same time, Navision classic client 6 (NAV 2009) installs exactly the same as 4, 5, and 5 sp1. If you're using XP you can install every major version from V2 up at the same time. (ie last I tried: 2, 2.6, 3.01, 3.10, 3.60, 3.70A, 4sp3u6, 5, 5sp1 and 6!)
    All you have to do is install it from the Client (CsideClient, ClassicClient) directory.

The role base client doesn't even offer to delete the old versions if it's installed from it's directory so it installs without a problem. The only (minor) issue with the Role based client and service tier is that they need DotNET 3.5 and Reporting services Viewer 2008, they are huge, but they pretty well behaved and don't seem to cause any problems.

Nevertheless, I do believe that putting the debug environment for the NAV2009 role base client in a VM is a good idea because you will be using Visual Studio to do the debugging and VS is a seriously invasive application that frequently gets blamed (with cause) for trashing machines.

PS: I'm using virtualbox at the moment, love the seamless windows.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    My computer runs on Vista, so I need to have a VPC to run older NAV versions anyway. I am already used to using the VPC image that way. It takes a very slight adjustment in my way of working (i.e. doubleclicking the NAV 5.0 icon in my VPC or in my actual computer), and I have a trouble free installation of the latest NAV version.

I take a pragmatic approach to these kinds of situations. I know I *might* be able to make it work, but I choose not to spend a lot of time trying to make it work, and potentially lose another day having to reinstall my OS. If I can install something with minimal risk to my capability to work I will do so, rather than installing apps that might interfere with eachother. I've had enough problems with Vista that I'd rather come up with a solution that I know should work than putting my entire system at risk.