Standard database WITH page objects

DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
edited 2009-01-19 in NAV Three Tier
I need a blank, standard, Cronus database, including the default page objects. I have the NAV 2009 product disc, in which I finally found the 'database.fbk', but that does NOT include page objects. I found a couple of files that seem like they are some sort of demo database for SQL, but those are MSI files. I am afraid that running those will replace my current demo database, which I have done extensive object modifications to, and spent considerable time entering test data.

How are we supposed to create a new blank database if not all objects are included in database.fbk?

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I posted it to Connect site as bug when the partners demo was released, answer was that in final version it will be ok... :-k
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    I suggest renaming your current database, then running the demo database .msi installer you found, to get the standard one again.

You can then do a NAV backup of the demo database to use afterwards (or better still create a SQL backup of it, which you can quickly restore into a new standard database again).
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Which one? SQLDatabase or SQLDemoDatabase? Do I just doubleclick the msi file and it will run automatically?
    Its SQLDemoDatabase. You can right-click and choose Install I think.

The other one, SQLDatabase, is for preparing the SQL Server itself, e.g. the license and NetworkService server login.

• TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    dmccrae wrote:
    Its SQLDemoDatabase. You can right-click and choose Install I think.

The other one, SQLDatabase, is for preparing the SQL Server itself, e.g. the license and NetworkService server login.

I have renamed my current database to TEST Demo Database NAV (6-0) and when I try to install database again from SQLDemoDatabase folder it starts installing, but then quits without any error message. Database is not installed.
    Are you an Administrator when you run the install?

• havhav Member Posts: 299
    I am facing the same problem as Tomas.

I tried with Administrator account also.
    My event log shows "Product: Microsoft Dynamics NAV 6-0 Database for SQL Server -- Configuration completed successfully."
    But when i open SQL Server and look for Demo Database NAV (6.0), i cannot find it.

Note that i had renamed my previous demo db. so as to avoid overwriting it due to new installation.

I am not sure where the demo db. is being installed.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
    MCTS (MB7-841 : NAV 2009 C/SIDE Solution Development)
    Hi all,
    I think i have found the answer.

The demo database is installed in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\60\Database".
    When you run the installer, a Database folder is created in above path which contains the .mdf and .ldf files.

You then simply need to attach this db. on SQL Server.

Now if i open the demo db. in NAV2009, i see the Page objects :)

I request Denster to please mark this post as Solved.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
    You then simply need to attach this db. on SQL Server.
    Yup!!
    No need to even attach the db. manually.
    The db. is attached in default instance of SQL.
    Previously i was looking it in another instance.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Hemant
    @Denster
    hav wrote:
    I request Denster to please mark this post as Solved.

Regards,
    Hemant
    Regards,
    Hemant
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Hi Hemant, I will set the post to solved when I have the time to verify this solution. As I am not about to run a script that blindly installs a database, and thereby possibly replace a database that I've been working on for months, I am not yet ready to do this. Once my current project is finished, I will try it, and if I find that it works the way you describe I will set the post to solved, and you will get the credit for it. I appreciate your contributions to this posts, and I definately will try your suggestion, but please stop repeating that I need to set it to solved.