Nav 2009 : Web service possibilties

kamranshehzadkamranshehzad Member Posts: 165
edited 2009-01-17 in NAV Three Tier
I want to do the following in navision. As I am new to navision so I want to know whether this is possible or not.

1- Want to create Purchase Orders / Reciepts / Invoices
2- Convert (Post) PO's to PR's/PI's
3- Create Sales Invocies and orders
4- Convert (Post) Orders to invoices
5- Items where items are updated / new / deactivated
6- Stock movements like internal stock transfers
7- Payment / Receipt creation and allocation to invoices etc

Please guide.

thank you.
regards,
KS

Comments

• freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    Your subject says webservices - your question doesn't... - I hope this is the answer to your question
    I am not sure that all of the things you mention are features in NAV already - but if they are, you can do them though web Services as well.
    Web Services is just a generic way of calling into either pages or codeunits in NAV and you should structure your code so that you have some high level functions available through Web Services and then do you business logic in NAV.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
  • kamranshehzadkamranshehzad Member Posts: 165
    Thanks for your answer. I wanted to use webservice to achieve them and as You said its possible so ill find the way to do so.
    is it possible for you to point me to any resource where i can get more details webservice methods (posting etc).

thanks.
    KS
  • freddy.dkfreddy.dk Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 360
    WebServices in NAV2009 is more considered a framework for you to write or expose your own methods - we do not have these methods ready for WS exposure in the box. You could however write a codeunit with the methods you want to expose and then from these call the right functionality in the app.
    Freddy Kristiansen
    Group Program Manager, Client
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    http://blogs.msdn.com/freddyk

The information in this post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This post does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my employer. It is solely my opinion.
    WebServices in NAV2009 is more considered a framework for you to write or expose your own methods - we do not have these methods ready for WS exposure in the box. You could however write a codeunit with the methods you want to expose and then from these call the right functionality in the app.

Thats what i thought. I could not find much info / help on it. I am looking for more information. I know we can consume codeunit as webservice but not sure I can call a code unit from some other exposed webservice.

I believe there is alot to learn for me...any good resource link will help on webservice / codeunits.

thank you for your help so far.

regards,
    KS
    I think i should put the complete scenario so that I can get suggestions from you all.

We got 2 systems, navision and our in house inventory system. We want to transfer the documents like PO /PR's and SO / SI and credit documents from our system to navision using web service. like if a document is created or updated, we want to reflect those changes in navision.

So system will work like this.
    an po is created in our system. it will be transmitted to nav using erp. once the order is converted to pr, we will need to convert the nav po to pr based on order no / line items sent by our system.

same thing we want to repeat for sales side and credit / debit documents.

We also want to show up the stock movements in navision. Data Will be driven from our system to navision.

Hope to hear any good suggestion on this.
    KS
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Have you considered going the other way around? Do all of your purchase/sales ordering in NAV and send inventory movements to your inventory system? That way all financial integration is contained in one application.
    No its not possible as a huge amount of logic is implemented in our system. so it needs to be driven from o ther system to nav.

my idea is to create codeunits for each module and call them from one main Code unit and expose it to webservice.

whats your say on this.
    KS
    Sorry I'm not very good with web services yet, so I'm very interested in what other people will have to say about this one :)

Just out of curiosity... what did you buy NAV for if you're not going to use it?
    Well there are saveral reasons.. we wanted to replace our existing accounts application.
    Another is that we provide solutions to our customers and we have some potential clients for nav and our services so we are opting for becoming a reseller of nav too..

is there any way to find out more about code units/ c/Al...etc

I am looking into forums but your guideness will be a great addition in my research.

regards,
    KS
    we wanted to replace our existing accounts application.
    Another is that we provide solutions to our customers and we have some potential clients for nav and our services so we are opting for becoming a reseller of nav too.
    Doesn't sound like you intend to use it though, with your question of how to migrate transactions from another system into NAV.

The information of how to become a partner is on the Microsoft website. See if you can find it in the Dynamics NAV area, I don't have a link handy at the moment. To get informed about C/SIDE and the inner workings of NAV, I'd suggest you follow the training and take the certification exams. You will need to get certified to become a partner anyway.
    Yes thats exactly we want to do. We only want to use it for accounts side at this stage but may be in future we will consider using it as our main application but not at this stage.

We have become nav partner with M$. Now I am starting to prepare for cert exams. I dont want to go for trainning as I beleive they wont be able to deliver what we need in terms of technical work.

I am presently involved in customisations and integration of Everest ERP with our clients systems etc. Its just need to get nav in hands asap to start transfering the data and implementation locally.

Kind regards,
    KS
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    and you have to keep in mind that if you do this, you will have to buy named DCO clients for the users doing this...
    and you have to keep in mind that if you do this, you will have to buy named DCO clients for the users doing this...
    DCO Clients? what are they? can you please explain?

regards,
    KS
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    DCO Clients? what are they? can you please explain?

regards,

DCO = "Microsoft Dynamics Client for Microsoft Office"

See the reference to training above.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.