REQ: Implementing Microsoft® Dynamics™ NAV 2009

yeatsyeats Member Posts: 13
edited 2009-01-16 in NAV Three Tier
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-mi ... -2009/book

This book is release. who can help us share it. Thanks.

This below is this book's info.

In Detail
Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 is the latest release of the NAV application (formerly known as Navision) from the Microsoft Dynamics family of products that brings a 3-tiered architecture, web services enablement, and many more exciting features, to the well established Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution.

Although Dynamics NAV is carefully designed for ease of use, attaining measurable business gains requires an understanding of business, finance, analysis and design techniques, programming skills, and the ability to manage complex projects coupled with an expert knowledge of the product itself.

This book distils hard won experience into an easy to follow guide to implementing the full power of Dynamics NAV in your business. It won't just tell you how to do it; it will show you how to do it. It will help you to become a better consultant or developer by providing practical examples and expert advice.

From an introduction to the new RoleTailored user interface to a series of practical web services programming tutorials, you will gain a deep understanding of what NAV 2009 has to offer compared to previous versions. With a strong emphasis on practical examples, we take you through the implementation process and provide guidance on configuring the Chart of Accounts and Dimensions for financial analysis, how to use the Rapid Implementation Toolkit (RIM) to reduce implementation effort and an overview of the Sure Step implementation methodology. You will learn how to take a business problem through to a working solution using industry standard techniques such as use-case modelling and object-role modelling. We will teach you how to design and develop NAV objects including the new Page object and the Client Reporting Services report layouts.

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    yeats wrote:
    http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2009/book

If you buy the book, you can read it. We are not promoting the sharing of pdf's on this forum!
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    yeats wrote:
    http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2009/book

So often in the Navision world, we hear the question "Why are there so few Navision books?"

Then when someone goes to the effort to produce a book, those that are so anxious to get the book, are not willing to pay for it.

Why would you expect that these people write the book? And why do you expect that you should get it for free?

[-X
    David Singleton
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Amen!

I know the guys that have been writing this book. It was a huge effort, believe me... . They deserve to get payed for it as well ... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • hvdhoevenhvdhoeven Member Posts: 99
    I'm thinking about writing a book about the concepts of ERP, illustrated with NAV 2009 in English.
    I've written a conceptual book in Dutch about the concepts, illustrated with NAV 5.0.
    The book is about business processes and ERP. (Dutch site http://www.erp.noordhoff.nl)

Do you believe there is a market for such a book?
    It's not about buttons in NAV, but more about the concepts and business processes and how they are recognizable in NAV.

The Concept Table of Contents contains the following chapters:
    1) Getting acquainted with business functions, business processes, ERP and Business Management
    a. From business function to business process
    b. ERP and Business Management
    2) ERP in a historic context (MRP, MRP II, ERP, ERP II)
    a. ERP in historical perspective
    b. ERP II, or extended ERP
    c. Advantages and disadvantages of ERP
    d. Vendors of ERP systems
    3) Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
    a. Brief intro on Dynamics NAV 2009
    b. The fundaments of ERP
    c. Add-ons and industry solutions
    d. Brand new process orientation: Role tailored user experience
    e. Training and education
    4) Marketing and Sales process: the O2C cycle
    a. Customer
    b. Sales Process (O2C cycle)
    c. Marketing
    d. Custer Relationship Management
    e. Analysis
    5) Supply Chain Management, Purchasing process & Warehouse process: the P2P cycle
    a. Vendor and article
    b. Purchasing process (P2P cycle)
    c. Other purchasing processes
    d. Warehouse process
    e. Supply Chain Management
    f. Analysis
    6) Supply Chain Management and Production Process
    a. Article: materials and finished products
    b. Kinds of production processes
    c. The production process
    d. Research and Development and Product Lifetime Cycle
    e. Product configurator
    f. Service Management
    g. Analysis
    7) Financial Management and Controlling process
    a. Financial management
    b. Registrations from other processes and the General Ledger
    c. Payments
    d. Corporate governance, external and internal reporting
    e. Reporting and Business Intelligence
    f. Controller and ERP
    g. Intercompany transactions
    h. Segregation of duties, roles and authorization
    i. Fixed assets
    8 ) Human Resource Management
    a. Master data HRM
    b. Recruiting, selecting, hiring of staff
    c. Competence Management and evaluating
    d. Absentness registration
    e. Pay roll
    f. Workflow Management
    g. Relations with other processes
    h. Analysis
    9) Implementation and Change Management
    a. Implementation
    b. Master Data Management
    c. Change Management
    d. Version Management, upgrades and updates
    e. Service Oriented Architecture
    (almost) Each chapter also contains a glossary (with explanation) and assessments.

Primairily I beliver it's for students in Business Schools, but do you believe that there is a broader market?

(I would like to investigate first, because it's a lot of work to be done...)

Hope to read your remarks!
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Broad market? Hard to say... ERP is not something the everyday consumer cares about.

It's probably more a niche book than anything else. It's like writing a book about colon cancer, you only read up on it if you're faced with it. And even then it'd be hard to get the people faced with it to pick up your book.

(This is just my opinion without any bases or evidence or scientific study. So feel free to rip me a new one if you feel like it. :mrgreen: )
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Broad market? Hard to say... ERP is not something the everyday consumer cares about.

It's probably more a niche book than anything else. It's like writing a book about colon cancer, you only read up on it if you're faced with it. And even then it'd be hard to get the people faced with it to pick up your book.

Thanks for your reaction, Alex.

When I show the Dutch book to Dutch NAV consultants, they give me the impression that it's a book they have been waiting for. As a study object for students, but also for junior consultants and also for key users for their clients. Would this be a possibility?
  • gaspodegaspode Member Posts: 19
    hvdhoeven wrote:
    I'm thinking about writing a book about the concepts of ERP, illustrated with NAV 2009 in English.
    I've written a conceptual book in Dutch about the concepts, illustrated with NAV 5.0.
    The book is about business processes and ERP. (Dutch site http://www.erp.noordhoff.nl)

It's not about buttons in NAV, but more about the concepts and business processes and how they are recognizable in NAV.

Hi there,

I think it would be good to get more books on ERP and NAV into the marketplace - this is one of the main reasons I wanted to write the Implementing Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 book with Vjeko. I'm an avid reader and I was really frustrated that it was difficult to find stuff to read on the subject I deal with every day.

Having said that, your table of contents look like you are setting yourself up for a lot of hard work - you may be better trying to split this in to two or three books and provide more depth and insite for fewer areas. When I started our book project, the first thing I did was to Google 'how to write a book'. I came across a site that suggested that prior to writing a book, you should get a book contract. This was very good advice because without a contract, our book would never have been completed (that is -- we would have given up). It was incredibly hard work but the deadlines we had for chapter submissions kept us writing. The publishers also helped us to define our target audience and refine our table of contents. We spent around 8 months each writing atleast 8 hours on a Sunday and every evening. I could not have done this without a very supportive wife and am looking forward to 2009 being a year full of two-day weekends! I can also recomend trying to hook up with a co-author. Vjeko kept me going at times and provided insights that I did not have -- I am sure I did the same for him.

If you do decide to go ahead with your project, I wish you luck. If there is anything I can do to help, you can send me a private message if you wish. You may want to try to practice your writing by producing some topics for David Singleton's Dynamics NAV Book Wiki site or maybe set up a blog and write some blog posts. This would be a great way to get some writing done without committing to such a big effort.

Cheers,

Dave.
    Woof!
    gaspode wrote:
    hvdhoeven wrote:

Hi there,

I think it would be good to get more books on ERP and NAV into the marketplace - this is one of the main reasons I wanted to write the Implementing Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 book with Vjeko. I'm an avid reader and I was really frustrated that it was difficult to find stuff to read on the subject I deal with every day.

Having said that, your table of contents look like you are setting yourself up for a lot of hard work - you may be better trying to split this in to two or three books and provide more depth and insite for fewer areas. When I started our book project, the first thing I did was to Google 'how to write a book'. I came across a site that suggested that prior to writing a book, you should get a book contract. This was very good advice because without a contract, our book would never have been completed (that is -- we would have given up). It was incredibly hard work but the deadlines we had for chapter submissions kept us writing. The publishers also helped us to define our target audience and refine our table of contents. We spent around 8 months each writing atleast 8 hours on a Sunday and every evening. I could not have done this without a very supportive wife and am looking forward to 2009 being a year full of two-day weekends! I can also recomend trying to hook up with a co-author. Vjeko kept me going at times and provided insights that I did not have -- I am sure I did the same for him.

If you do decide to go ahead with your project, I wish you luck. If there is anything I can do to help, you can send me a private message if you wish. You may want to try to practice your writing by producing some topics for David Singleton's Dynamics NAV Book Wiki site or maybe set up a blog and write some blog posts. This would be a great way to get some writing done without committing to such a big effort.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Your hints are usefull, I have written some (-if I may say so myself- succesfull) books in Dutch, so now I want to go for an English book.
    I'm in contact with two/three publishing companies, to find out the possibilities.
    The book is meant as an introduction, it's rather a thin book in my opionion.

I'll send you a pm one of these days.
    Thanks again,

Hans