Options

Problems to restore in SQL Server from native database

DELODELO Member Posts: 2
When I restore a company (23 MB) into a empty Navision 3.70 SQL database it takes 2 minutes. When I have 30 companies, to restore the same company takes 18 minutes; when I have 50 companies the restore takes 43 minutes;

I think it isn't normal. Does anyone know why?.

If it was a normal working we can never restore 300 companies. We are upgrading from 2.00 to 3.70 SQL Server actually.

Comments

• Options
    gabrungabrun Member Posts: 2
    If one company takes 2 min 30 in 18min is not so bad at least the average min per company is going down.

The msql creates a new set of Navision tables for each company so I would guess it should always take the same time per company (2min x no. of companies).

I have heard that there is a limit on the number of tables you can have in the SQL although I do not know that number. So the 300 companies might be problem even if the creation time went down.

When you are restoring into sql you should put it in single user mode and have the transaction log as simple.
    DELO wrote:
    When I restore a company (23 MB) into a empty Navision 3.70 SQL database it takes 2 minutes. When I have 30 companies, to restore the same company takes 18 minutes; when I have 50 companies the restore takes 43 minutes;

I think it isn't normal. Does anyone know why?.

If it was a normal working we can never restore 300 companies. We are upgrading from 2.00 to 3.70 SQL Server actually.
  • Options
    thuthu Member Posts: 6
    gabrun wrote:
    If one company takes 2 min 30 in 18min is not so bad at least the average min per company is going down.
    DELO wrote:
    As I understand it, the same one company (that took 2 minutes in the first restore) takes 18 respectively 43 minutes when there are more companies already present in the database. :?:

Thomas
  • Options
    gabrungabrun Member Posts: 2
    If one company takes from 2 - 43 minutes depending on no. of companies in the db then ouch...... O:)

But something must be wrong with the setup.

I have a 40gb navision database running on MSSQL with 10 companies and yes it takes a while (approx 2 min) to create a new company. It has been increasing with the size and number of users (40-80 concurrent) but nothing abnormal.

We are running on a 64bit server with 8 or 10 gb memory and a SAN drive and it was setup by SQL professionals.

At time of writing (03/12/04) my advice is not to go the SQL path unless you really, really need it.