• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    wow it has finally been released.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ara3n wrote:
    wow it has finally been released.

No fan fare :?: just released. I had thought they would be releasing it at Convergence.
    David Singleton
    By the way, not the right place for this rant I know, but has anyone ever been able to get the file transfer manager to just run the first time on a new computer. I mean its been out there a couple of years now, and it wont run on XP, Win2003 or Vista?

PS Daniel thanks for the link, I seriously can not comprehend how anyone can find anything on partner source.
    David Singleton
    Aha I see what I was doing wrong :
    What are the Operating System requirements for FTMs?

FTM requires Windows 98 Second Edition or later.

Now let me see if I can find a Win98 computer somewhere. =D>
    David Singleton
    I've tried to download it, and it failed twice and I had to resume it. Then when extracting, the zip file fails on a specif exe file. The zip file is corrupted for US version.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• JutJut Member Posts: 72
    The DE-Version works just fine!
    ara3n wrote:
    I've tried to download it, and it failed twice and I had to resume it. Then when extracting, the zip file fails on a specif exe file. The zip file is corrupted for US version.

I have had that happen before with the Down Load manager. The only solution was to do the entire download again from scratch.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    No fan fare :?:
    There will probably be plenty of fanfare at Convergence. My guess is that this link is not supposed to be made public yet, but it's on partnersource so I figured it's public. I found the link on the public MSFT newsgroup and figured everyone in here would be interested :mrgreen: , I don't know how that guy got a hold of it.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    so, i go not to bed, i download and test it \:D/

Thanks Daniel

No thanks from my wife :roll: :|
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    i can't the door is closed ..... :cry:

But i have my work room a couch and a icebox with cold beer \:D/ (joke)
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    I installed it and so far the first error during installation is

Failed to connect to SQL database. (-2147467259 Demo Database NAV (6-0) )

So the db wasn't installed.

I looked at DVD Folder and only mdf file is there. hmm. I will try to manually attach the db.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Attached the db and now get the error with RTC

Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server due to the following error: Cannot open database "Demo Database NAV (6-0)" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.
    OK
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

added networkservice to nav windows users and now get

Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server cannot connect the Change Listener to SQL Server due to the following error: Cannot open database "Demo Database NAV (6-0)" requested by the login. The login failed.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'.
    OK
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

changed the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE as Sysadmin sql role and was able to login.

I also ran this..

use master
    alter database [Demo Database NAV (6-0)] SET ENABLE_BROKER

I saw in eventview that server tier was complaining that query notification was not enabled.

With the advent of SQL Server 2005, your application can request SQL Server to notify it when critical data in a database has changed. Up to that point, an application can safely continue to retrieve data from the cache. This provides a much more granular level of control and takes any guesswork out of the question of how often the cache should be refreshed.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ok I've changed the sql role to public only for NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

and gave it dbowner and that worked.

Then in Nav I had to add NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE to nav users as well as my own windows user and was able to get in.

it looks like sql 2K is no longer supported.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

found in installation manual that you need to do the following for service tier
    ALTER DATABASE [ReplaceWithYourDatabaseName] SET ENABLE_BROKER;
    GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GRANT CREATE QUEUE TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GRANT CREATE SERVICE TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GRANT VIEW DEFINITION TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GRANT SUBSCRIBE QUERY NOTIFICATIONS TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GRANT RECEIVE ON QueryNotificationErrorsQueue TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GRANT REFERENCES ON CONTRACT::[http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQL/Notifications/PostQueryNotification] TO [ReplaceWithNAVServerAccount];
    GO
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Here's a new one (For me...)

I run the Classic C/Side Client and I design a Codeunit.

Text Constants are RED.
    Reserved Words are BLUE.
    Comments are GREEN.
    kapamarou wrote:
    Here's a new one (For me...)

I run the Classic C/Side Client and I design a Codeunit.

Text Constants are RED.
    Reserved Words are BLUE.
    Comments are GREEN.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow I am really shocked to read this! You mean that there is someone out there that does not Subscribe to Waldo's blog. :mrgreen:

New NAV 2009 blogger - and what do I see there? - Waldo's Blog Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    David Singleton
  • kapamaroukapamarou Member Posts: 1,152
    Not enough free time... :oops:
    kapamarou wrote:

Just kidding.

But on a more serious note, if you really don't have time, then you definitely SHOULD be reading Waldo's blog, since he gives a lot of helpfull tips that otherwise you would spend hours looking for.
    David Singleton
  • PureHeartPureHeart Member Posts: 190
    kapamarou wrote:
    Hey!
    You just need to subscribe to the RSS! What mobile do you have?
    you can use your mobile to subscribe to the RSS and then refresh it on the go and read it on the bus or while at the beach! :P !
    Why don't you try my compare tool?
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1123
  • dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    Regarding the error with the Change Listener. Without getting into too much detail, this component of the NAV Server is responsible for change detection and updating the NAV Server state, with changes made from c/side within the Object Designer. This allows your object changes to be see immediately from the Role Tailored client.

If you attach a database from the classic client Database Open window, the required steps will be performed for you, to ensure that it can run correctly. The installer also does this. However, if you attach a database with Management Studio, you need to ensure that the broker setting on the database is disabled by issuing ALTER DATABASE [dbName] SET DISABLE_BROKER. Then you do not need to add all the permissions that Rashed listed (GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE etc...) - these are needed if the broker setting is enabled (with SET ENABLE_BROKER), and therefore the SQL Query Notification system is to be used for the Change Listener in the NAV Server, which provides a more efficient change detection of objects in the NAV Server.

The minimum requirement is that you need a NETWORK SERVICE* login on the server, mapped to a user in the database (you can create these in Management Studio only, you don't need a user in NAV) and this user can be public, to limit security (i.e. not dbo). You then need to grant SELECT permission to the [Object Tracking] table for this user, if it is not dbo.

I don't know the reason, in this case, that the installer failed to install the database (unless the database was already present with this name).

* Note: Out of the box, NETWORK SERVICE is used for the credentials of the NAV Server. If a domain account is used instead, then it is this account that needs to be present as a login and database user in SQL Server. If NAV Server and SQL Server are on different machines, then either a domain account must be used, or a machine-named network service account.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    kapamarou wrote:

Just kidding.

But on a more serious note, if you really don't have time, then you definitely SHOULD be reading Waldo's blog, since he gives a lot of helpfull tips that otherwise you would spend hours looking for.

In some way, I really feel ... uhm ... honored :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog