Options

Multi Language Help

riteshritesh Member Posts: 24
Hi
I want to change the caption of my Label on a form from English to Japnese. I have copied a folder by name JPN in Client folder. I also get the option to switch between english and Japnese. But whenever i paste a japnese text for label caption it shows ?????? in place of text. Can anyone help me out. And guys if u have not tried this out this is really challanging.
:(
Ritz

Comments

• Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    You can do it your way only for languages that share common Code Page (like 1250-ANSI-Central EU is base for Slovene, Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish and some more).

For languages that have different Code page you have to change your Regional and language options. On third tab you can change Language for non-Unicode programs or you can add some Code page Conversions...

If you want to type some "strange" chars (not just by using copy paste) then you should also think of "Text Services and Input Languages" found on second tab under Details buttnon...

Of course all remarks are for WinXP and may differ on other OS.
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Hi Robert
    Thanx for a speedy reply.
    Actually I have changed the regional settings of my OS to Japnese and my keyboard can type Japnese too. But the issue is that when I type in Japnese in Navision editor it is unable to do so and instead shows question marks which means that the editor cannot understand the language i type.
    Please reply
    regards
    RobertMo wrote:
    You can do it your way only for languages that share common Code Page (like 1250-ANSI-Central EU is base for Slovene, Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish and some more).

For languages that have different Code page you have to change your Regional and language options. On third tab you can change Language for non-Unicode programs or you can add some Code page Conversions...

If you want to type some "strange" chars (not just by using copy paste) then you should also think of "Text Services and Input Languages" found on second tab under Details buttnon...

Of course all remarks are for WinXP and may differ on other OS.
  • Options
    RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    Well, it worked for me when changing to Russian cyrillic. And as I remember cyrillic was also shown in CA/L editor...
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    Hi
    Thanx again

Can you please help me understand the following lines as written in the document related to Granules. It would be greatful if you can help me understand the process or provide me with some leads who can help me.

Multiple Languages/each (4801.4999)
    Each Domain

"This granule enables the user to switch language on the client in real time provided that the language is available in the program."

Request you to kindly provide clarity regarding the exact utility of this granules.

Is Chinese version available for the same. If it is available then what do we need to use the same. Will this help to translate all the forms / database from English to he

corresponding language ? Also, would I be able to convert my texts, data and messages from one language to other by using the above granule.
    RobertMo wrote:
    Well, it worked for me when changing to Russian cyrillic. And as I remember cyrillic was also shown in CA/L editor...
  • Options
    g_dreyerg_dreyer Member Posts: 123
    This is what you have done so far:
    By copying the JPN file to the client directory, you have set up the help file in Japanese.

What you need to do:
    Try and get hold of the Japanese Language file (MBS refers to it as granules). There are some language files available on the Microsoft Partner site, but have not noticed Japanese.
    You should ask around, as someone might have already translated Nav for JPN.
    Once you have the file, you need to import it (*.flm), under tools, language module, import.
    So basically you should only need to translate your customization to JPN.

Should you fail to get the language module you need to translate everything yourself :x
    It might be easier to export the language file as text, then change the text document to handle JPN as well. Change the caption on one form, export that one form (tools, translate, export), have a look at the text file, and then you can see what you need to change in order to change all the text of all the modules. Good luck! If I were you, i'd rather try and find the language module.

Be careful import translations as it will stamp all your objects as modified.

You can do the same for Chinese as well in the same database.

Hope this helps,
    Gus
  • Options
    Hi g_dreyer

Thanx for the reply. I have searched for the Japanese *.flm but am not able to get hold of it. Still searching for the same.I need a further help regarding this.

I just want to translate a single caption to Japanese/Chinese without any *.flm. How can i do it? I have been trying it from so many days but am not able to do it. It always shows some question marks instead of the Japanese Characters. I have set the regional settings to Japanese even. Also is there a translation tool available to carry out this activity.

regards
    Ritz
    g_dreyer wrote:
    This is what you have done so far:
    By copying the JPN file to the client directory, you have set up the help file in Japanese.

What you need to do:
    Try and get hold of the Japanese Language file (MBS refers to it as granules). There are some language files available on the Microsoft Partner site, but have not noticed Japanese.
    You should ask around, as someone might have already translated Nav for JPN.
    Once you have the file, you need to import it (*.flm), under tools, language module, import.
    So basically you should only need to translate your customization to JPN.

Should you fail to get the language module you need to translate everything yourself :x
    It might be easier to export the language file as text, then change the text document to handle JPN as well. Change the caption on one form, export that one form (tools, translate, export), have a look at the text file, and then you can see what you need to change in order to change all the text of all the modules. Good luck! If I were you, i'd rather try and find the language module.

Be careful import translations as it will stamp all your objects as modified.

You can do the same for Chinese as well in the same database.

Hope this helps,
    Gus
  • Options
    You will need to give me more information at this stage....

1. Can you type Japanese characters in a text field in Navision? And does it display properly.

2. When you changed the caption, did it display properly (when you modified the object).

3. Are you sure you used the correct multilanguage code when entering the caption?
  • Options
    Hi
    Reply to what has been asked are
    1. No I am not able to type Japnese Characters in text field. I am able to type the same in MS Word, Internet Explorer address bar, Notepad. But i am not able to do so in Navision editor. It shows Question Marks instead.

2. It shows question marks only.

3. I am able to use multilanguages in ML editor for captions but again it shows question marks only.

I think my Navision is not able to understand Japanese texts .. donno why .. Pls help

regards
    Ritz
    g_dreyer wrote:
    You will need to give me more information at this stage....

1. Can you type Japanese characters in a text field in Navision? And does it display properly.

2. When you changed the caption, did it display properly (when you modified the object).

3. Are you sure you used the correct multilanguage code when entering the caption?
  • Options
    Unfortunately I have not worked with having a different character set altogether. My experience is only with mutlilanguage and how to import/export it.

I think Robi was on the right track though.
    Are you running SQL Server perhaps? Try it on a stand-alone database, type some characters into a text field.
    Maybe you will have to re-install SQL Server.

Cheers,
    Gus
  • Options
    miltonlimiltonli Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

You have changed the regional settings of my OS to Japnese and my keyboard can type Japnese too.
    You also should set the default language to Japaness. This can help textbox control show the text in correct way. Please check this setting in third tab.

Milton
  • Options
    PDPD Member Posts: 4
    Hi ritesh,

Try to change the property FontName and FontSize of controls (Label, TextBox...) according to your Janpanese font. For example, if your font name is XXX then replace the default <Tahoma> FontName property of the Label, TextBox you want into XXX.

Regards
  • Options
    Hi Miltonli

Thanx a lot friend .. that really worked .. I am really happy, I was trying this for a couple of days and I had gone through many PDF's. I am really really thankful.

At the same time thanx to Robi and G_dreyer too. They kept my effort alive when I was loosing hopes.

This is the first time that I was on this formum but I am very happy to be a part of this forum and have ppl like Miltonli, Robi and Dreyer around.

warm regards to u all
    Ritesh
    miltonli wrote:
    Hi,

You have changed the regional settings of my OS to Japnese and my keyboard can type Japnese too.
    You also should set the default language to Japaness. This can help textbox control show the text in correct way. Please check this setting in third tab.

Milton
  • Options
    Thanx a lot Miltonli .. that really worked .. I am really happy, I was trying this for a couple of days and I had gone through many PDF's. I am really really thankful.

At the same time thanx to Robi and G_dreyer too. They kept my effort alive when I was loosing hopes.

This is the first time that I was on this formum but I am very happy to be a part of this forum and have ppl like Miltonli, Robi and Dreyer around.

warm regards to u all
    Ritesh

g_dreyer wrote:
    Unfortunately I have not worked with having a different character set altogether. My experience is only with mutlilanguage and how to import/export it.

I think Robi was on the right track though.
    Are you running SQL Server perhaps? Try it on a stand-alone database, type some characters into a text field.
    Maybe you will have to re-install SQL Server.

Cheers,
    Gus
  • Options
    Thanx a lot Miltonli .. that really worked .. I am really happy, I was trying this for a couple of days and I had gone through many PDF's. I am really really thankful.

warm regards to u all
    Ritesh

RobertMo wrote: