Options

Electronic catalogue

Andreas_LundinAndreas_Lundin Member Posts: 91
edited 2000-01-27 in Navision Financials
Hi!

I'm planning on developing a freeware ocx(to be used in the Navision coding by Navision developers) transforming Navision data into an eletronic catalogue(HTML-format with Java-support). But I need some information about making or designing such a catalogue.

Does anyone know some products/tools handling this kind of task today?

Does anyone have an idea of what the real world customers requires of such a tool?

Every answer and idea are welcome.

Regards
Andreas Lundin

Comments

• Options
    TheDoubleHTheDoubleH Member Posts: 67
    No offend - But why do you wan't to do so - I would guess that all current web-shop-solutions are able to do what you want to do.

But never mind ...

I would suggest that you would build the tool to use ASP.

Kind Regards

Henrik Helgesen,
    Navision Solution Developer
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Great Minds Discuss Ideas,
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people (With Malicious Intention)

Admiral Hyman Rickover, US Navy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Kind Regards

Henrik Helgesen,
    President | Helgesen Consulting
    about.me | LinkedIN
  • Options
    Hi again!

I know that many have made solutions including this feature of making electronic catalogues. But the big difference is, that my ocx is going to be free of charge and use(freeware), when it is released. Other solutions are normally commercial ones.

I use these small projects just as a practice in adapting and learning different languages. A project like this gives me the chance to maintain my skills in HTML, C++/Java and Javascript. The final ocx or application is not a goal in it self. It is what I learn during the process that matters.

My solution is planned to be as simple as possible(the KIS rule - KEEP IT SIMPLE), and it should be ready in a beta-release in February.

I'll post a message on this forum when it's ready.

Regards
    Andreas Lundin
  • Options
    I again!

Just a comment on the choice of tools to develop the application/ocx:

1. ASP is always a good choice, but it requires a Microsoft Internet Server.

2. JAVA/HTML/JAVASCRIPT and CGI is may also run on other servers than Microsoft related servers.

I'm using the following technologies to develop my solution:

- A freeware C++ compiler to make the ocx
    - Java by Sun(free) to make applets
    - Javascript
    - HTML
    - CGI

Regards
    Andreas Lundin