Mobile Sales in Virtual PC image

japehajapeha Member Posts: 13
edited 2008-09-22 in Dynamics Mobile
Hi everybody,

I recently got my hands on a supposedly very nice Virtual PC image from Microsoft, that is available through PartnerSource (it's a 4,3 GB zip file named Mobile_1_1_NAV50SP1_VPC).

It contains everything you need, to run the Mobile Sales sample application. This is an excerpt from the accompanying documentation:
The demo image contains the following software:
- 2007 MICROSOFT OFFICE SYSTEMS DESKTOP APPLICATIONS, PROFESSIONAL PLUS.
- MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2003 R2 ENTERPRISE EDITION SERVICE PACK 1.
- MICROSOFT DYNAMICS NAV 5.0 SERVICE PACK 1.
- MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 2005 TOOLS FOR APPLICATIONS.
- MICROSOFT MANAGEMENT CONSOLE 3.0 FOR WINDOWS SERVER 2003.
- MICROSOFT SQL SERVER 2005 ENTERPRISE EDITION SERVICE PACK 2.
- MICROSOFT SQL SERVER COMPACT EDITION.
- MICROSOFT WINDOWS MOBILE 6.0 DEVICE EMULATOR
- MICROSOFT DYNAMICS MOBILE –MOBILE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS - SERVER COMPONENTS, VERSION 1.1
* MICROSOFT DYNAMICS MOBILE – MOBILE SALES, VERSION 1.1.

The following Microsoft Dynamics™ Mobile components are included:
* Microsoft Dynamics™ Mobile Development Tools, Mobile Server
o Users
o Groups
o Languages
o Modified Administration Menu
o Document Types
o Document Schemas - XML Schema Validation
o Document Queue List

* Microsoft Dynamics™ Mobile – Mobile Sales:
o Mobile Sales Setup
o Create Customer Price
o Sync. To-do/Activity

I made one addition to this image. I added ActiveSync 4.5 to improve the connectivity of the Device Emulator. So I booted it up into Virtual PC, loaded the Device Emulator, hit Synchronize and...

ERROR! :shock:

When synchronizing, the part "Database" starts and says "Initializing", then "Starting Replication" and five seconds later this:
Last execution failed with the error: A request to send data to the computer running IIS has failed. For more information, see HRESULT.

The complete error message from the Logging Service reads:
<ErrorLogEntry>
  <Exception type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException">
    <Errors>
      <Item>System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeError: A request to send data to the computer running IIS has failed. For more information, see HRESULT.</Item> 
    </Errors>
    <HResult>-2147012865</HResult> 
    <NativeError>28037</NativeError> 
    <Message>A request to send data to the computer running IIS has failed. For more information, see HRESULT.</Message> 
    <Source>Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Everywhere Edition</Source> 
    <StackTrace>at System.Data.SqlServerCe.NativeMethods.CheckHRESULT() at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SyncAsyncResult.BeginSyncAndStatusReporting() at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SyncAsyncResult.SyncThread()</StackTrace> 
  </Exception>
  <ApplicationInfo /> 
  <DateTime>2008-05-16T16:57:15-07:00</DateTime> 
  <Message>A request to send data to the computer running IIS has failed. For more information, see HRESULT.</Message> 
</ErrorLogEntry>

I followed the troubleshooting for this specific error, that I found here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb986857(MSDN.9).aspx
Note: phpBB unfortunately refuses to properly recognize the preceding link. Just copy and paste the entire line.

The URLs for DeploymentService, DocumentService, LoggingService and SQL replication can be accessed from Pocket Explorer. The web.config with the database connection string also looks fine.
I'm not quite certain how to make sure that ActiveSync is working, but I guess when I can use Pocket Explorer and I see my Mobile Device in Windows Explorer, it's working great.

Thanks much for any advice you might be able to give.

Jan-Peter Hashagen

Comments

• jschaadtjschaadt Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Im working in the Mobile Applications Group at Microsoft Development Center Copenhagen, in Denmark.
    For your information Im currently investigating the issue reported by JAPEHA, regarding synchronization by ActiveSync. I will get back with my findings.

brgrds.
    Jesper Schaadt
  • japehajapeha Member Posts: 13
    Hi Jesper,

I figured why it wouldn't work without ActiveSync DMA. The manually assigned IP address in the emulator (under Settings > Connections > Network Cards > NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver) didn't fit to the IP address of the VPC network adapter. That's obviously a homemade problem though, since my network admin reconfigured the VPC network adapter. I just wasn't aware of this consequence.

Synchronization works now.

That still leaves me wondering why synchronization doesn't work through ActiveSync. But I don't think that ActiveSync will be a necessity for my project, so I should be fine.

Thanks for your efforts,
    Jan
  • jschaadtjschaadt Member Posts: 2
    hey,
    Well, the synchronization sure do works through ActiveSync, but you have to be aware that you've got to cradle the Device Emulator when using ActiveSync. Use the '\Program Files\Microsoft Device Emulator\1.0\dvcemumanager.exe' to do this. AND of course you'll have to disble the use of network cards (under Settings > Connections > Network Cards).

I've just done this in my setup and it works smoothly.
    brgrds.
    Jesper (MobileApllicationsGroup)
    That's odd, cause that's exactly how I did it. The only thing I omitted was setting up a partnership in ActiveSync. I used it as "Guest".

Best regards,
    Jan
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    where can I find this VPC?
    The VirtualPC images are available through PartnerSource.

Jan
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    It will only take you about 180 hours to download it :|.

@vanrofi:
    if you're an end user, you will not have access to partnersource ... . You can always ask your partner. :mrgreen:

There was recently an MSDN evening about this topic (in Belgium), given by Kurt Juvyns. He blogged about it here.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Thx Waldo, already wondering why I did not have access to Partnersource anymore.
    No prob, I understand!

I assume these downloads are not available on CustomerSource, Why not? To keep in contact with partners, who have then to spend time in downloading and forwarding this material instead of working on development/Sales/Consultancy?

Can some partner download all and upload it to Mibuso? :mrgreen:
  • TomasTomas Member Posts: 420
    japeha wrote:
    Hi Jesper,

I figured why it wouldn't work without ActiveSync DMA. The manually assigned IP address in the emulator (under Settings > Connections > Network Cards > NE2000 Compatible Ethernet Driver) didn't fit to the IP address of the VPC network adapter. That's obviously a homemade problem though, since my network admin reconfigured the VPC network adapter. I just wasn't aware of this consequence.

Synchronization works now.

That still leaves me wondering why synchronization doesn't work through ActiveSync. But I don't think that ActiveSync will be a necessity for my project, so I should be fine.

Thanks for your efforts,
    Jan

Jan,

could you elaborate on your solution a bit more? I am facing same problem. What IP should you set for Emulator?
    Tomas wrote:
    What IP should you set for Emulator?
    Hi Tomas,

try an available IP address from the same C class network.

E.g. the network adapter of your VPC image has 10.10.10.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use 10.10.10.x (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) for the emulator, where x is anything between 2 and 254. Just make sure the IP is available.

Jan
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    [Topic moved from NAV/Navision to Dynamics Mobile forum]