Options

Optimise Navision

2»

Comments

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    kriki wrote:
    In general I try to reserve a dedicated 1GB network to be used only for backups and no other traffic. This way I am sure the backup is directly on another server. Just in case someone decides to do a smoketest. :mrgreen:
    I dont know if "Reservation" is way too less to get good network performance (assuming that by Reservation you mean a dedicated switch not handling any other traffic). Even if this is the case then:

1. You need to have "wire speed" ethernet switch between two machines. Most of 1GB swithces works nice up to 200-300 MBPS :) - evein in p-t-p applications. Working alternative - back-to-back connection
    2. You need to have really nice network cards on both machines - I suggest with PCI-E interface with some TCP-offload engines.
    3. You need to play with network buffers lenght on both machines on LANMAN layer
    4. You need to setup some TCP Stack parameters (network parameters at TCP/IP layer)

If you can avoid doing backup to the network drive just avoid it. Go fo garak method with dumping backup to some local drive, and then copy the file to remote server.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    kriki wrote:
    In general I try to reserve a dedicated 1GB network to be used only for backups and no other traffic. This way I am sure the backup is directly on another server. Just in case someone decides to do a smoketest. :mrgreen:
    I dont know if "Reservation" is way too less to get good network performance (assuming that by Reservation you mean a dedicated switch not handling any other traffic). Even if this is the case then:

1. You need to have "wire speed" ethernet switch between two machines. Most of 1GB swithces works nice up to 200-300 MBPS :) - evein in p-t-p applications. Working alternative - back-to-back connection
    2. You need to have really nice network cards on both machines - I suggest with PCI-E interface with some TCP-offload engines.
    3. You need to play with network buffers lenght on both machines on LANMAN layer
    4. You need to setup some TCP Stack parameters (network parameters at TCP/IP layer)

If you can avoid doing backup to the network drive just avoid it. Go fo garak method with dumping backup to some local drive, and then copy the file to remote server.
    That is what I meant with reservation.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!