Hyper-V

raven44raven44 Member Posts: 85
Hi All,
Does anybody know if there's any issues with NAV running in a Hyper-V environment?
Host Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V
Guest Windows Server 2003
NAV5.0 or 5.0SP1

If anyone could point me to some documentation as I've been unsuccessul in finding anything that specifically relates to Hyper-V & NAV.

Thanks.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I don't think NAV is even officially certified for Windows Server 2008 yet, let alone in 'hyper-V'. Your best bet would be to get in touch with your NAV partner, and to have them open a support request with Microsoft, to have them tell you what is and is not supported. There might be known issues, and possibly unreleased patches not yet available for the general public.
  • raven44raven44 Member Posts: 85
    Hi DenSter,
    as far as I'm aware NAVs not supported with Win Server 2008 (just yet) - that's why we'll be using the guest image with Win Server 2003.
    Was hoping for some documentation out there on this but as you say, may need to contact MS directly.
    Thanks
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Well the documentation about hyper-v says there is separation of OS inside the virtual environment, so you'd think it would not make a difference whether you run it on an actual machine or virtually. We all know though that what the MSFT marketing machine says it can do and what it is actually capable of are sometimes quite different. For the most up to date information I think MSFT tech support is your best place to go. If they can't find anyone who knows, then it's not supported :)
  • JohnEvansJohnEvans Member Posts: 1
    If you focused on solving the issues surrounding hybrid clouds, failover clustering, security, storage, and application platforms, then Hyper -V is your right choice. With Hyper-V backup software you can save up to 1,000 recovery points, rotating them on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis. Such an approach allows you to recover individual OS files and application objects, as well as an entire VM, in the exact state as they were during the backup.