Learning Curve for NAV2009

Tarek_DemiatiTarek_Demiati Member Posts: 112
edited 2008-07-17 in NAV Three Tier
What sort of advice would you give to a Navision developer with 10 years strong programming experiences (from Nav 1.0 to Nav 5.0, mostly in a native DB environement) to be technologically ready for NAV 2009

which tools (Visual Studio, SQL Server), technologies(Silverlight? WPF?) should I really master to still be a a NAV developer for years to come ...

With all this new architecture, the learnign curve does seems pretty steep, but I have not look at any documentation or NAV 2009 yet ...

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    NAV2009 development will be mostly the same as it has been. There will be more opportunities to also use other technologies (mostly long the lines of SQL Server reporting services, and consuming webservices). For core NAV development though, it will be business as usual writing C/AL code in the same object designers.

I'd say start with the SSRS report designer. Every NAV developer will have to know how to use that. The next big thing is web services. Get yourself a book about what XML webservices are about, and see if you can create one, and consume one with infopath or sharepoint.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Daniel is correct, SQL Reporting services and webservices are the things to learn.

When you investigate SSRS then concentrate on layout, not on how to create queries and views since NAV wil do that for you.

The partners and ISV's who invest in new webservice solutions will be the most successfull in the next 5 years.

When you walk over the convergence expo in 5 years you will see less NAV and more other UI. NAV is 'just' the engine that empowers new technology.

The SQL engine will not change at all.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    What sort of advice would you give to a Navision developer with 10 years strong programming experiences (from Nav 1.0 to Nav 5.0, mostly in a native DB environement) to be technologically ready for NAV 2009

which tools (Visual Studio, SQL Server), technologies(Silverlight? WPF?) should I really master to still be a a NAV developer for years to come ...

With all this new architecture, the learnign curve does seems pretty steep, but I have not look at any documentation or NAV 2009 yet ...

Hey Tarek, welcome back, where have you been hiding?
    David Singleton
  • Tarek_DemiatiTarek_Demiati Member Posts: 112
    Hello David,

I'm back home (in France), since 2002, I did work 4 years for
    end users and now I work as a Freelance Navision Developer and Project Manager

Are you still in India ?

it seems that I've got a lot of catching up to do on SQL and Web Services
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hello David,

I'm back home (in France), since 2002, I did work 4 years for
    end users and now I work as a Freelance Navision Developer and Project Manager

Are you still in India ?

it seems that I've got a lot of catching up to do on SQL and Web Services

I know you maved back to France, but more I meant activity on mibuso and Dynamics User Group.
    David Singleton
  • Tarek_DemiatiTarek_Demiati Member Posts: 112
    I've been so overwhelmed with projects that I've neglected the good old forums for a while, I'm also now the proud father of 2 young toddlers, 2 years old and 3 months old, so they requires some time and attention too

But I plan to get a bit more involved again ...