Options

Nav Sp1 5.0 Bulk Insert

NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
edited 2008-04-15 in SQL Performance
Hello Navision has introduced with 5.0 SP1 Bulk insert.

By my definition Bulk insert is actualling using BULK INSERT statement.

What I see in query profiler is

insert record one
insert record two.
etc etc.

Is this actually bulk insert? or just that the records not insert until the commit and then inserted?

Also if they are calling insert, wouldn't it be faster to use union all statement instead.

read this post and performance difference

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2007/06/08 ... union-all/

Thank you.
my 2 cents

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    As far as bulk insert statement concerned, it accepts a file or xml file.
    As far as the way the inserts are called, I don't know maybe MS can answer this?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    The bulk insert doesn't use union all.
    It just buffers the inserts until a COMMIT is called or until you do some other action (SELECT,MODIFY,DELETE,...) on that table.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    The bulk insert doesn't use union all.
    It just buffers the inserts until a COMMIT is called or until you do some other action (SELECT,MODIFY,DELETE,...) on that table.

Thanks for confirming that it's not really bulk insert.
    So since it's not a bulk insert and just buffering till the end, why aren't they calling insert once and doing a union on all the parameters. This will ave a lot better performance.
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    The first performance gain is a single insert statement which is reduction in network traffic. I'm just curios why Navision didn't implement the insert that way. You would have gained much better performance on insert.
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Because it will need much more work than just "buffering" the inserts and make them in one "bulk"... do not forget that there is no time to do "big" optimalization on current architecture. One day, the architecture will change and NAV (or what will be the name in these days) will use another method to insert the data...

You know, this change was optimal from "gain/cost" ratio...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I don't buy the big change.
    I would say buffering insert is a bigger change, Replacing SIFT is a bigger change.

Calling
    INSERT INTO Item  ([No], Description)
    VALUES ('ABC','afg');
    VALUES ('BCD','ghk');

instead of
    SELECT 'ABC','afg';
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 'BCD','ghk';

is minor, and the performance difference huge. 100 or 1000 records. :whistle:
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, just comparing the SQL queries, it look like easy task. But you need to take into account all the levels between C/Al command and the resulting SQL query. The communication library is working in some way (each command is translated into SQL query) and you can find out that in time when you are producing the SQL query, you have no info about upcomming next insert and you have no context and data to union these inserts. It is why this easilly looking change is a big problem...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Maybe you should get a job at Microsoft, so you can tell them how to do it :mrgreen:
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    Yes, just comparing the SQL queries, it look like easy task. But you need to take into account all the levels between C/Al command and the resulting SQL query. The communication library is working in some way (each command is translated into SQL query) and you can find out that in time when you are producing the SQL query, you have no info about upcomming next insert and you have no context and data to union these inserts. It is why this easilly looking change is a big problem...

You'll be doing UNION on all the fields. UNIONALL.

All we are doing is stipulating. If MS could give an answer it would be helpful.
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    DenSter wrote:
    Maybe you should get a job at Microsoft, so you can tell them how to do it :mrgreen:

All, I'm doing is asking a question.

I was asking a while back about indexed views that could be implemented instead of SIFT, and behold SP1 made the change.
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    NavStudent wrote:
    I know what you're doing, and I think it's great. I'm only half joking too, you seem to be thinking a lot about how to improve the base product, and one way to make a difference is to pursue a job at Microsoft. A critical thinker such as yourself would be a welcome addition to any team.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    DenSter wrote:
    NavStudent wrote:
    I know what you're doing, and I think it's great. I'm only half joking too, you seem to be thinking a lot about how to improve the base product, and one way to make a difference is to pursue a job at Microsoft. A critical thinker such as yourself would be a welcome addition to any team.

I wouldn't recommended it. It's probably better to make a ruckus at the forums instead of working in the development team.

You may be bogged down by politics instead of doing what you're doing now.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    There is a new blog on bulk insert.

http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/navsustat ... 0-sp1.aspx
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL Performance forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!