Options

More help the complete newbie fun!

raphael_asraphael_as Member Posts: 8
Quick bit of background: My company have installed Navision financials. I am an ABAP developer. The implementation consultants are not very responsive and so my company has asked me to do some small changes to various reports etc.

I found this site (thank you lord) and have already learnt a lot from just reading the topics. I do however have a couple of specific questions which I cannot find the answer to.

1. Can I copy reports/forms from one DB to another? For instance I have taken an off-line copy of our database in which I am learning/testing. If I want to move something from that copy to the main server DB (without losing/changing any data apart from the report) can I do that. And if so how?

2. Theres a couple of useful tools in the download section I would like to add to the DB. They download as *.fob files and the instructions simply say 'import it' - How do I do this? (I know this is probably a really dumb question but please bear with me).

3. When opening a form in the designer the C/AL code buttons remain resolutely unavailable. How do I get to the C/AL code for forms? (for instance if I want to insert a trigger)

4. I am currently only using the functionality available to me within Navision itself (e.g. the object designer and related things) - I presume that a lot of the developer functions that seem to be missing from this are in the developer toolkit. Is this open to everyone to use? or do you need some sort of certification/authorization from MS?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
What the hell makes someone think that an ABAP developer can magically program C/Side?

Comments

• Options
    Dean_AxonDean_Axon Member Posts: 193
    1. Can I copy reports/forms from one DB to another? For instance I have taken an off-line copy of our database in which I am learning/testing. If I want to move something from that copy to the main server DB (without losing/changing any data apart from the report) can I do that. And if so how?

Yes, this is the export/import routine (which you have asked about later)

2. Theres a couple of useful tools in the download section I would like to add to the DB. They download as *.fob files and the instructions simply say 'import it' - How do I do this? (I know this is probably a really dumb question but please bear with me).

You need to have object designer open. then from the File menu, you have the option to IMPORT

3. When opening a form in the designer the C/AL code buttons remain resolutely unavailable. How do I get to the C/AL code for forms? (for instance if I want to insert a trigger)
    This is a licencing issue. You can purchase the ability to be able to see/modify the C/AL through the Licencing Granules

4. I am currently only using the functionality available to me within Navision itself (e.g. the object designer and related things) - I presume that a lot of the developer functions that seem to be missing from this are in the developer toolkit. Is this open to everyone to use? or do you need some sort of certification/authorization from MS?

Most things are avaliable wthin Navision itself, but they are "Locked" to users that do not have the relevant licence
    Remember: Keep it simple
  • Options
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman: thanks for the reply.

Just a quick follow on on the licensing issue - how does one go about getting a developer license from MS (or purchasing the necessary granules for the license file)? From an SAP perspective, the owners of the DB could request developer keys from SAP directly. Does it work like this with Navision or do you need to be a partner?
    What the hell makes someone think that an ABAP developer can magically program C/Side?
  • Options
    Dean_AxonDean_Axon Member Posts: 193
    how does one go about getting a developer license from MS (or purchasing the necessary granules for the license file)?

You pay lots of money to your solution centre :twisted: :twisted:

On a serious note, you make a request to purchase the following Granules:

Report & Dataport Designer (7,110)
    Platform

(Level 1) You use this granule to change existing reports and dataports and it lets you create 100 new report objects and 100 new dataport objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099).
    This granule also gives you access to C/AL™ (the C/SIDE® application language) from reports and dataports for defining special calculations and business rules. You can create new reports from scratch or copy an existing report to use as a starting point. Every report in Navision is created using this tool and can therefore easily be customized.

Form Designer (7,120)
    Platform

(Level 1) You use this granule to change existing forms (windows displayed on the screen for data entry and inquiry), and it enables you to create 100 new form objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099).
    You can match the data entry screens with input data forms or create custom screens by user for field-level security. For example, you can change the Sales Order form to look like the order pads used in the field. Or you can create a Customer Card form for staff members that do not have access to the Credit Limit and Blocked fields.

This granule does not include access to C/AL from forms.

Table Designer (7,130)
    Platform

(Level 1) You use this granule to change existing table definitions, and it enables you to create 10 new tables (numbered from 50,000 to 50,009).
    You can change properties on fields, such as the field name, decimal places and maximum value. You can add new fields to existing tables and create new tables to store data specific to your business. You can create new keys for sorting information in new ways, and you can change or create new FlowFields™ and FlowFilters™ for “slicing and dicing” information in new ways.

This granule does not include access to C/AL from tables.

Application Builder (7,200)
    Platform

(Level 2) You use this granule to change the business rules and special calculations that work behind the scenes.
    These business rules and special calculations are defined in a language we call C/AL (C/SIDE Application Language). While Application Builder includes access to C/AL, it does not allow access to existing C/AL code that updates write-protected tables (postings for instance). Application Builder lets you create entirely new areas of functionality for your application, enabling you to tailor Navision to fit your entire organization.
    This tool also enables you to create 100 Codeunit objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099).

Requirements: Report & Dataport Designer, Form Designer and Table Designer

Solution Developer (7,300)
    Platform

(Level 3) You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables.
    This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool.
    This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule.

Requirements: Application Builder

This is an extract from the licence explanation guide. I have put a level nr. on these so that you get an idea of how to buy it.

i.e. Basic Design - Level 1's
    Advanced Design - Level 2
    Solution Developer - Level 3
    Remember: Keep it simple
  • Options
    Thanks also for the detailed reply - now I have an opportunity to see how serious the company is in making me do Navision development - nothing like asking them to actually outlay some green to check on commitment :twisted: