Options

Upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SP3 With Navision 4.0 Database

estamatisestamatis Member Posts: 3
edited 2008-02-18 in SQL General
I have a navision 4.0 database on a SQL Server 2000 (with no Service pack on the sql and the navision).

I want to upgrade SQL Server 2000 to SP3. Do i have to upgrade Navision 4.0 to Sp3 to ?

Is Navision 4.0 with no SP works with SQL Server 2003 with SP3?

I have tested both senarios SQL Server With or Without SP3 and Navision With and without sp3 and all worked fine.

Is there any know issue with SQL Server 2000 SP3?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    SQL2000SP3 has problems with performance with cursors that have been solved in SP4.
    Oh, did I mention Navision uses cursors for all reads on the DB? :mrgreen:

2 good advices:
    -install SP4 on SQL2000 with the latest hotfixes. (Navision doesn't care about the SQL version. It will always work)
    -upgrade Navision to 400SP3 with latest hotfix.

[Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    estamatisestamatis Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Kriki about the reply

The performance problems with cursors are on SQL2000SP3 and not to the previous versions of SQL? If the non SP version of SQL20000 (this one that i currently use) have the same performance problems with the SP3 then it is alright for us. Or the SP3 will make performance worst than it is right now?

I ask this because on the same sql server i have another non navision database that have ansolved issues with SP4.... and that 's why i want to upgrade to SP3.

any suggestion ?
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    To be honest, I don't know about the versions before SP3.
    But in general it is best to have the latest SP and hotfix.

And it is also advisable to have a dedicated server for performance. Remember that if one DB is using some resource, the other cannot use it at the same time.

If your other DB is using very little resources because it is used rarely, you can keep it on the same server, but otherwise....
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!