Options

Questions to database login

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
edited 2008-01-16 in SQL General
Hi

I'm running some tests with db login and got some questions. Navision 4.03, Standard Security with SQL Server 2005.

1) If there is and old db login without an sql login, the synchronization stops and the system is not synchronised for all other logins. Is that true? If yes, is there a workaround (appart from adding the sql login for old users)? Deleting them from logout is not a good option for us because we have some customized lookup fields the the db login table.
:(

2) Synchronisation creates also a default schema in the navision db named like the user. What is the reason for this?

3) When field user id is validated (F2) on the database logins form, the message "Record does already exist" appears. What does it mean?

4) Under what circumstances is it needed to manually add the sql logins on sql server to the public role for the navision database?
I'm actually not sure, but is this new for SQL Server 2005?
http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10035

5) When I migrate to a new sql server (or to sql server at all), synchronisation does not work, because of some missing sql logins, see question 1. However, if I add the active db logins to the sql logins and give the sql logins access to the navision database, it works. In this case it works without using synchronisation :?

Many thanks in advance

Thomas

Comments

• Options
    Nobody?
    I'm afraid my questions were to weird :?
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    1) With Standard Security model, you don't need to synchronize.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Thanks for the input.
    Following up to my initial questions:
    What do you do with old logins, for example for user who don't work anymore in the company?
    If you don't add them to sql server logins, you always get the nasty error message concerning synchronisation :?

Thanks in advance
    Thomas
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can always keep the login in SQL Server and disable it there. In NAV you can give users an expiration date.
  • Options
    dmccraedmccrae Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 144
    In what situation do you get the error message? Assuming you are not explicitly synchronizing from the menu.

Regarding the database schema - this is the user in the database that corresponds to the server level login. It is this user that allows access to a database and to which permissions are granted on for SQL objects (although NAV does not actually do that, but in general), and not the server login.
    Dean McCrae - Senior Software Developer, NAV Server & Tools

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Options
    dmccrae wrote:
    In what situation do you get the error message? Assuming you are not explicitly synchronizing from the menu.

The sync. error occurs when we first add a sql server login, then add it to navision db logins. No problems so far, but after validating the user name field in navision db logins, the sync. error occurs.

Regards
    Thomas