Nav 6.0 .NET languages support

siglrsiglr Member Posts: 2
edited 2007-12-20 in NAV Three Tier
Hi

I've been searching the net for the answer, but just to make things clear, I know Dynamics NAV 6.0 will be compiled in .NET, but in terms of supported language, will C/AL be replaced by any .NET language (C#, VB.NET...) or will it at least support coding in these languages?

Thanks
Guy

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    No and no :mrgreen:

All supported NAV coding will have to be in C/AL. There will be web services that you can connect to, so it will be much easier to integrate using .NET languages. All internal NAV development will all be in C/AL.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    And let's be very glad for that \:D/ .

Really, you don't want it to be integrated in .NET. I would go for the fast development in C/AL.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • wakestarwakestar Member Posts: 207
    Waldo wrote:
    I would go for the fast development in C/AL.

I would go for the fast development in c# :wink:
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    What about T-SQL?

Isn't that always the language that you read/write into the database.

I have never heard of T-SQL.net :-s Why should there be a C/AL .net.
    You only have a .NET language if you use the .NET framework. Knowing the framework makes it very easy to switch languages.µ

C/SIDE doesn't make use of this framework. To make sure we can use C/AL.NET would mean that the app should be rewritten to make use of the .NET framework.

really ... I don't want this. .NET is great. A lot is possible with this. But C/AL is just all about simplicity and fast development. And wat is not possible, make it possible by .NET extensions ... and leave it with that... .

Just my two cents...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    For the RoleTailored Client, the report layout is designed using a Report Definition Language (RDL) editor like Visual Studio. The langage for this will be Visual Basic.NET. The layout information is then stored in new properties of the report.
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Kowa wrote:
    For the RoleTailored Client, the report layout is designed using a Report Definition Language (RDL) editor like Visual Studio. The langage for this will be Visual Basic.NET. The layout information is then stored in new properties of the report.

What do you mean?

Reports will still have dataitem triggers in Navision with C/AL code.
    You have to look at this like this:
    Reports in C/SIDE are producing datasets (writing the necessary code in C/AL like Mark said). Reports will be created without good design.
    Then export to RDL.
    Then edit the design in VS.

That's what I understood from various sessions... :|

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    Waldo wrote:
    You have to look at this like this:
    Reports in C/SIDE are producing datasets (writing the necessary code in C/AL like Mark said). Reports will be created without good design.
    Then export to RDL.
    Then edit the design in VS.

That's what I understood from various sessions... :|

That what I understood too:wink:, that is what was shown in the developer clinic with Naveen Garg from MS at the Dynamics Airlift in Munich in November.
    Report datasets, sections and request Forms/Pages are still designed in the C/SIDE Report Designer, but the new report layout features available with the new client are programmed in Visual Basic.

Several Powerpoints are available here ( the NAV 6.0 ones are in English)
    http://www.microsoft.com/germany/partne ... rlift.mspx
    Kai Kowalewski
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Kowa wrote:
    ...but the new report layout features available with the new client are programmed in Visual Basic.
    No that is not true, that sounds as though every report must be programmed in VB, which is just not the case.

You can use any rdl editor that you want. If you choose to do so, you can use Visual Studio as the rdl editor, and if you choose to do so, you could potentially use Visual Basic if the components that you wish to put on your reports require the use of VB. BUT you don't HAVE to use VB to make reports. You don't HAVE to use any programming language at all, unless you put things on your report that require it.
    Yes, you could do it in notepad as well :mrgreen:

Eric Wauters
    My blog