Options

Moving to SQL

krishnadkrishnad Member Posts: 36
edited 2000-11-03 in Navision Financials
I have been trying to create a "new" database using then MS SQL Server Option for Navision but I keep getting the same error message: "An ODBC error occurred, but no error information could be retrieved." Get this message either locally or remotely.

If I try to open one of the sample databases it says it is not a Navision db (which is correct).

Thanks for any help on the subject.

Comments

• Options
    John_TegelaarJohn_Tegelaar Member Posts: 159
    You have to start Navision in SQL version first, then create a new (SQL) database on the SQL server.

For your interest, although functionally the same, the underlying structure is completely different for C/Side and SQL, and the one type cannot read the database of the other type.

You can, however, make a backup in the one, then restore it in the other. That allows rather easy exchange between the two types of database, or between network (SQL) and stand-alone (C/Side) clients.

John

[This message has been edited by John Tegelaar (edited 28-05-2000).]
  • Options
    I installed the Navision client into the NT server hosting the SQL server db - started the SQL version and tried to create a new database. As soon as I enter new new "Database Name" and try to go to the next tab "Database files" I get the ODBC Message. I have no problems using SQL Server's Enterprise Manager to create new databases or modify them (locally or remotely). It is just Navision that comes back with the "An ODBC error occurred, but no error information could be retrieved." message. I installed the Service pack #2. The Navision docs say that the ODBC drivers are automatically installed. Do I have to install something else from the MS SQL server CD?
  • Options
    gedasgedas Member Posts: 87
    Hi,
    I had the same error.
    I got it when upgrade windows server, and solved when upgrade NF version. My solution is : NF 2.5 only with NT 4.0; NF 2.6 only with Win2000.

Gedas B
    GB
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. I using NF 2.5 and NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4. After reading your post I installed Service Pack 6.0a but with the same result: "An ODBC error occurred, but no error information could be retrieved.".
  • Options
    John_TegelaarJohn_Tegelaar Member Posts: 159
    Krishnad,

Something just came to mind.

If you have plain NF 2.5 and SQL Server 7.0 SP2, you'll get the ODBC error. Navision has a HotFix for this. Should be available on the partnerweb for download.

John
  • Options
    Otto_DreyerOtto_Dreyer Member Posts: 16
    Why not to use 2.60 ?
    It works fine on NT4
  • Options
    BardurBardur Member Posts: 2
    If your problem occurs on win2000, then it is caused by an in-compatibility with the new version of sqlsrv32.dll. Just copy the C:\Winnt\System32\sqlsrv32.dll from a NT4-machine to the same location on your Win2000 machine (make a backup of the file first). I don't remember whether it's necessary to restart the machine or not. But you'll find out...
  • Options
    kmokmo Member Posts: 3
    As I remember it should be:

Service Packs ARE important
    theese are working configurations:

NF2.50
    NT 4.0 SP4 , MS SQL 7 SP1

NF2.60
    NT 4.0 SP4 , MS SQL 7 SP2
    W2000 Srv , MS SQL 7 SP2
    W2000 Srv, MS SQL 2000 + some manual fixes

ODBC-things - it is typical first-try error.
    Do rememeber about:
    1) correct NT service pack
    2) correct MS SQL pack
    3) -p option in MS SQL

Unfortunately this sp-compatibility issues are not documented well, but for sure your NTR should know that (even from experience ;-)).

regards
    Krzysiek