Options

SQL Permission problem.

Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
edited 2007-11-13 in SQL General
Hi all,

I need an advice about creating a login for Navision use on SQL 2005. I think Navision requires the login to be a member of securityadmin server role (otherwise it's impossible for a user mapped to the login to change its password within Navision). But securityadmin is a over-privileged role for only a Navision user. Denying "alter any login" permission in server-wide produces the same result as denying securityadmin role. What I'm afraid of is that the over-privileged login can log on the server by using Management Studio and change passwords of others. The only way I could figure out was to deny Alter permission for every other login. But this is a very tedious job because every login must be negated for all other logins except itself.

I'm absolutely sure that I do something wrong :D. Readjustments will be greatly appreciated!
Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
Dynamics NAV Developer since 2005

Answers

• Options
    Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
    What a miraculous web site Mibuso is! Only asking a question is enough to find its answer :D. I just only denied Authenticate Server role for the login and solved the problem. In this way, the login has necessary permissions to change its password but has no means to intervene other logins using the Management Studio. I'm sorry for taking up space but I wanted to share my finding.
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
    Dynamics NAV Developer since 2005
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!