Database Speed - Navision 2.60 vs 3.70

elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 191
Hi,

we are in the Beta Phase preparing our upgrade from Navision 2.60 to 3.70 .

I have the impression that the 3.70 database are slower, when i search for an Item or i run a report ...

It's 3.70 little lower than 2.60 ?
Exists any Methode or benchmark for analyse / compare it ?

@they who did make the upgrade:
must you upgrade too your hardware?

Thanks
(Oo)=*=(oO)

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    There are manz new things, which are demanding more HW power - Dimensions, Detailed entries etc. - you must calculate with higher CPU (and disk) usage. BUt may be, that your HW will sufficient after upgrade, it depends on which granules (areas) of application you are using etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 191
    We run a Dual Intel (2 x 1 Ghz) , 1 GB RAM and a SCSI Raid 10 with 6 Hardrives(á 80GB).
    We use too an Citrix Metframe with the same HW Config.

The Connect with the Citrix are during 5 cups of coffee :roll:
    And the Connection without Citrix are during 1 cup of coffee.

And if we start the Nav 3.7 Client on the running Server it's little faster
    but a turtle is faster than ;)

We have too probed with the Cronus Demo (it's a very small database) and is low too. Perhaps we must really update our hardware i think i tell with the System Admin and ask he that he look up what we can do.

Needs the 3.70 Navision Server more Ressources than the 2.60 ?
    Perhaps it runs faster if we try a MS Sql Database ?
    (Oo)=*=(oO)
  • RobertMoRobertMo Member Posts: 484
    If it is slow on Cronus Demo DB, then it must be something else. Your server should run Demo DB without any problems ?
    Network problems ?
               ®obi           
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    RobertMo wrote:
    If it is slow on Cronus Demo DB, then it must be something else. Your server should run Demo DB without any problems ?
    Network problems ?

At the Server runs the 2.60 without Problems, and are 25 Users working on it (currently in Navision 2.60) Speed is okay.

Only the 3.70 make the slow Problem.
    For Options i choosed:
    Object Cache 32000 KB
    DBMS Cache 670000 KB
    Commit Cache: Yes
    Quick Find: Yes
    (Oo)=*=(oO)
    elTorito wrote:
    We run a Dual Intel (2 x 1 Ghz) , 1 GB RAM and a SCSI Raid 10 with 6 Hardrives(á 80GB).
    We use too an Citrix Metframe with the same HW Config.

The Connect with the Citrix are during 5 cups of coffee :roll:
    And the Connection without Citrix are during 1 cup of coffee.

If it is Native DB - only 1 CPU is used for DB server...

If you are running Cintrix Server on this HW too, 1GB RAM is too low for me... 500Mb for DB Cache, 300MB for OS, rest for Citrix Clients... hmmm... One Navision client can take 64MB or more... you have space for 3 citrix clients... (200MB/64Mb = 3,1 - only fast calculation)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    If it is Native DB - only 1 CPU is used for DB server...

If you are running Cintrix Server on this HW too, 1GB RAM is too low for me... 500Mb for DB Cache, 300MB for OS, rest for Citrix Clients... hmmm... One Navision client can take 64MB or more... you have space for 3 citrix clients... (200MB/64Mb = 3,1 - only fast calculation)...

Perhaps i not understand you, what mean you with " Native DB" , the Navision Application Server ?

I forget that not all users working with citrix, only max 10 Users works with the citrix CLient, the others are working directly on the Navision Database. But this too are low RAM for 10 Users, hehe. I asked the SysAdmin if we can put more Ram in the Server.

And perhaps, the 3.70 Server is low because all the RAM did will reserved momentanly to the 2.60 Server. Hmm. I think i must talk with the SysAdmin and we must tested it without running 2.60 at the same time.

Thanks all for your answers. I will post here when we have a result.
    (Oo)=*=(oO)
    Native DB means Navision Database Server, not MS SQL server option...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Native DB means Navision Database Server, not MS SQL server option...

All Right.
    (My Englisch is no so good , a lot of times i have problems with understand and speak/write it) hehe. And the traduccion of specifical Words is kind dificulty).

Thanks.
    (Oo)=*=(oO)