Restore sql db with linked table to native

BGIBGI Member Posts: 176
edited 2007-03-23 in SQL General
All,
we have a production sql database. There are some views defined in sql and in navision there are some tables linked to these views.
Now when we do a navision backup, and want to do a restore to a native we get the error that table XXXXX doesn't exist. This table is the linked table.

Is there a way to still restore this db to native format?

Rgds
Rgds
Benny Giebens

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Try to import the objects first. open object designer. Select import and find the backup file .fbk. Make sure you click on show all file type, because navision filters it on .fob. Once you've selected the backup file, load the objects and try to restore again.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • frgustofrgusto Member Posts: 32
    ara3n wrote:
    Try to import the objects first. open object designer. Select import and find the backup file .fbk. Make sure you click on show all file type, because navision filters it on .fob. Once you've selected the backup file, load the objects and try to restore again.

Problem is that then it's not possible to restore Data Common to All Companies.
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    [Topic moved from Navision to SQL General forum]
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Only one way to deal with this that I know of, and that is to script your views to a sql file, and creating the views in the new database before you do a NAV restore. I don't know what would happen if the views link to external tables that are not available on the new server though, don't know if that will cause errors.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    DenSter wrote:
    Only one way to deal with this that I know of, and that is to script your views to a sql file, and creating the views in the new database before you do a NAV restore. I don't know what would happen if the views link to external tables that are not available on the new server though, don't know if that will cause errors.

But problems is that the restore is done on Native DB... :-) no views... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    You will lose those views on your native Navision database.
    To make this work, you will need to drop the views and create tables with the same name in SQL Server, then do your restore.
    Whatever you are using the views for will not work in your Navision database unless you manually build the data in the tables.

After your backup you can drop the SQL Server tables and recreate the views.