New Post Indicators not working

jpjp Member Posts: 47
edited 2000-01-19 in Feedback
Lately the new post indicators are not getting displayed until I click reload. Then they show new postings since just before the reload button was clicked.

It used to work until my cookies got deleted.

-jp
-jp

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    How come your cookies where deleted?

You can always use the 'preferences' menu (on top of each forum-page) where you can delete all cookies used by the forum. This helps some problems with cookies.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • jpjp Member Posts: 47
    My cookies were deleted when I was on the preferences menu, and I accidentally clicked on the option to delete all forum cookies. Since then, I have not been able to get the new post indicators to work. I'm willing to bet that the reason they don't work is that the cookies no longer store my username and password.

I have not been able to find any menu option that restores this data (only on the registration form, and I'm already registered).

Also, I can't find an option to login and Identify myself.

-jp
    -jp
    The answer of the forum support-people was "The next time he/she visits (or maybe the next after that), the indicators will reappear".

Let me know if the problem persists.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
    The problem has been persisitent for about a week now.

FYI, I'm using Netscape 4.7.

-jp
    -jp
    I changed some code of the forum.

After your next visit of the forum, AND after closing & re-opening your browser, the lightbulbs should appear again.

Please let me know if this is the case (or isn't).

[This message has been edited by Luc Van Dyck (edited 14-01-2000).]
  • jp2jp2 Member Posts: 1
    Still having problems... I'll send email

-jp
    -jp
  • UrmasUrmas Member Posts: 76
    Possibly it has something to do with cookies. The Session id cookie is set to expire in year 1999. (currentrly 15.01.1999. If that cookie is used for deciding what indicators to show, you can have undesired results.

Urmas
    This is a copy of the email I sent to webmaster@mynavision.net
    ============================================

I think I figured out what the problem is.

Once you delete the Cookies, there is no way to restore the username and password cookies.

I tried to change my profile, which prompts for username and password, but it does not save them as cookies.

I then went to change my preferences, and even though I specified Yes to store my username and password, the cookies were not created.

I have some suggestions:

On the various forum pages in the header, include the current user name, or display "not registered", just to provide feedback to the user.

In the section with the commands "profile, register, preferences, faq, search" combine profile and preferences into a single option. On this page, give the
    user the option of saving the username and password as cookies.

Also add a login option to set the username without having to reply or edit the profile.

-jp
    -jp
    The Username and Password cookies appear to be restored now.

However, it appears that the username cookie is only read from the main page. My bookmark leads straight to the forum page. There is no way to tell until I try to reply to a posting.

I still think a line at the top that displays the current username or "Not Registered" would help in this respect. (Of course it's easy to ask when I have no idea how hard it is to implement!)

Thanks,

-jp

PS. Great job!
    -jp