Options

Navision 2.60B Windows 98 Client Crash (Divide Error)-UPDATE

pickseedpickseed Member Posts: 14
edited 2006-02-03 in Navision Financials
We just upgraded our server that runs the database server from NT4 to Server 2003.

Our Win98SE clients are crashing with "FIN caused a divide error in FIN.EXE" when they try to print orders to our dot-matrix printers. (2 Epson DFX-5000's and an Epson LQ-2090). The are installed on our file and print server (Also Server 2003) and mapped to each client.

For some reason, the Windows 98 O/S's do not pick up the default printer settings (feed method, paper type). I have a feeling that this is causing the issue, but I wanted to post here in case there was something else related to Navision that I could try.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I also could not get updated print drivers for an DFX5000+ this is most likely the problem (new server - old printers)

When we first started with Navision I tried to get the old dot matrix printers too work but it became TOO MUCH work. So we just updated all our printers to Laser.

It's great just simply getting 1 type of paper now instead or 14 7/8 x11 green bar or 9 1/2 x 11 green bar fan folding blah blah blah.

The DFX5000 make great paperweights during hurricanes as you probably already know. Sorry I really didn't have an answer for you.

But if you get it to work & ever need spare parts - lemme know.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I agree with Harry. (Dot matrix printers make great paper weights). But if you are are really attached to them you might try the following:

When you setup the printers on your new server (Win 2003) it would have installed the Win2000/XP versions of the printer driver. Add the Win98 version of the driver as an additional driver on the print server. Use the same driver that is installed on your Win98 workstations.

Even better:

Throw away the Win98 workstations (along with the printers). Microsoft ended support for this O/S two years ago.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    JulianHarperJulianHarper Member Posts: 63
    We still use a dot matrix printer here (a DLQ-3500) for invoices and a few reports, driver wise I just use the Generic Text driver that works fine in Windows 98 and XP.

If you find that you are missing paper sizes just create a custom form on the print server and use that.
    Julian Harper
    IT Manager
    Laytons Wine Merchants Ltd
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try putting the Win98 printer drivers on the server and see if that works.

I did create a custom paper size. I think part of the problem is that the Win98 clients are keeping the paper size at 8.5x11 even though on the server, the default is 11x8.5 fanfold.

Also, for some reason, the users cannot open the printer properties from the print dialog box to change the paper size. Just to try, I gave the everyone group permission to manage printers on the dot matrix printers and that still didn't work. But I'm pretty sure that goes back to Win98 clients logging onto Server 2003 AD. (Whole other story :roll: ](*,) )

bbrown: We are planning to dump Win98 and move everyone over to Terminal Server soon. Being a one man IT dept. I was just hoping that I could find a quick workaround until I get everyone converted.
  • Options
    If you have an old(ish) server running NT4 or even Windows 2000 try setting up the printers on that.

That's how I did it until I upgraded all of the PC's to XP.
    Julian Harper
    IT Manager
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    If you have an old(ish) server running NT4 or even Windows 2000 try setting up the printers on that.

That's how I did it until I upgraded all of the PC's to XP.

That's an excellent idea.. I have a few Old inkjets (incase we need a pic or something) mapped to a old server & that's it's only function. It's not powerful enough to run anything else but the old OS allows us to use the old drivers without a problem.

Win2003 is a different animal.
  • Options
    I would still recomend using the Generic Text driver for dot matrix printers, it can take a little while to get it working properly but it's a driver that works on all versions of Windows.
    Julian Harper
    IT Manager
  • Options
    OK, I've got another (related) issue now.

I've started moving these users over to Terminal Server (2003), still using 2.60B Client. Now what is happening is that Navision is not reading the Windows default printer settings.

For example, on our print server, I have set the defaults to "tractor feed" and a custom paper size. To be sure I also set this in each user's profile. If I open Word or Excel in their TS session, click print and look at the properties of the DFX5000 it shows "Tractor Feed" and "Pickseed Delivery Control" as the settings. If I do the same in Navision it shows "Manual Feed" and "Letter". I can change these settings to the proper ones and print successfully now, but if I try to print another delivery control slip, the settings go back to the defaults of "Manual Feed" and "Letter" every time you print another document. ](*,)

Is there a problem with the way the 2.60 client reads the windows spool settings? Or is there a way to set this up in fix.stx or something?

Any help or suggestions would be helpful at this point, because our busy shipping season is coming up and our reps will be all over me if they have to change printer setting for every order. #-o

BTW - I have tried using the Generic Text-Only driver, and I get the same behaviour as above.
  • Options
    I have this problem as well but there is a way around it.

Open the report and select File - Page setup. In there set the paper size and First/Last page settings, this is where Navision gets its printer settings (this overrides everything else). Click on Printer and make sure the correct printer is being used. To make sure the settings are saved quit Navision to save the zup file.

You can set the default page size/margins in the reports design.
    Julian Harper
    IT Manager
  • Options
    Great! That's just what I was looking for! I can't thank you enough!