Options

Bug reporting

kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
edited 2005-11-25 in Feedback
What about some section for reporting know bugs in Navision, with solutions, workarounds etc.? (something like old PartnerGuide database).

There is needed to use some rules in this section - Subjects must have some format, for example:

[VersionNo] [Area] - short description

In the body must be where is the problem, symptoms, solution, workaround, if it was sent to MSFT etc.

This is only my suggestion...
Kamil Sacek
MVP - Dynamics NAV
My BLOG
NAVERTICA a.s.

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Yep, this could be very useful. We've got some sort of knowledge base at our company for stuff like this ... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I doubt that we can keep a 'bug' area clean with actual bugs only. There are many people here that feel that because some functionality doesn't work the way they like, it is a bug.
  • Options
    Yes, there must be strict rules in this part. Only bugs in standard code allowed (or may be local addons) but not in 3rd party addons...

Not only: It is not working it is a bug...
    Only: There is bug in object xxx on line xxx...
    it means reporting found bugs, not talking about problems, errors etc...

All other posts will be deleted...

But main question is for Luc: It is technically possible? Do you want to do it in this way? Or have you another Idea? ;-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I think it will be very difficult to keep this "bug" forum/subsite free from postings that are not related to actual bugs. What is the definition of a bug? It might be a feature or "meant by design".

And what to think about the SAP-consultant who is going to redirect a possible customer to this site, to look at the "large" number of bugs in MBS-Navision?

But I'm open for suggestions how to maintain such a project.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Yes, the publicity of the bugs is problem. I was thinking about it too... You are right, it will need some permissions to this and this is the problem. I think no simple solution. OK, may be better will be let it be as it is, may be better will be push microsoft to do public such a KB on partnersource...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    jmjm Member Posts: 156
    Hi Kine,
    kine wrote:
    ... may be better will be push microsoft to do public such a KB on partnersource...
    there is a "Knowledge Base" in the PartnerSource and there are articles with "There is bug in object xxx on line xxx... " and this is the old code and this is the new code.

try:
    https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/search.aspx

What i am missing in the KB is a feedback when a problem is solved in a service pack or if the problem will be solved in the next service pack.

br
    Josef Metz
    br
    Josef Metz
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    jm wrote:
    Hi Kine,
    kine wrote:
    ... may be better will be push microsoft to do public such a KB on partnersource...
    there is a "Knowledge Base" in the PartnerSource and there are articles with "There is bug in object xxx on line xxx... " and this is the old code and this is the new code.
    [...]

Yes, but this is not publicly available. PartnerSource is for MBS partners only.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    And my experiences with partnersource are not good. All is about USA version of Navision. The bugs is hard to list, to see what new bug was found etc. (for example some RSS feed for that will be excelent)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I agree that this thread would be quite difficult to maintain, because everything would be a "bug".

Now, you could create something like the "How To's"-section on this site. Members can do a suggestion, and some kind of moderator (probably Luc) can post(/maintain) this to the Bugs-sections.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog