Options

Navison and how to build a public web shop

hrvojevhrvojev Member Posts: 5
edited 2005-11-03 in Navision e-Commerce
Hello all!

As it may be noticed from my earlier posts, I'm a novice in Navision and its functionality.

My primary task now is to build a public web site web shop based on Navision 4.0 system and its components. I tried the Navision-CommerceGateway-BizTalk route (and met with innumerable problems!) although I'm not sure what to do or expect.

Now, it seems that case studies and literature are very hard to find so I ask a question here:

what's the best / easiest / recommended way to build a fully fledged ASP.NET web shop using Navision as a base? Are there off-the-shelf Windows-platform web interfaces for Navision available? Is my way (Navision-CommerceGateway-BizTalk) the correct one? Where to find a comprehensive literature?

In short: how to build a web shop?
Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Hrvoje
Hrvoje

Comments

• Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I don't think ther is any single corect answer to your questions. Using Navision-CommerceGateway-BizTalk is a valid solution. I was involved in a project a few years ago using this method along with SQL views and stored procedures deliverying data to ASP pages. A lot of the issues we had was do to these products being in their initial releases at the time. All the products had significant service packs released during this project.

Other possible solution are to use NAS and the message queue.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    Captain_DX4Captain_DX4 Member Posts: 230
    bbrown wrote:
    Other possible solution are to use NAS and the message queue.

This is the option we are leveraging. We've been using the Biztalk and found it to be a bit problematic and definitely more costly to maintain the license for it than to build solutions through MSMQ, which is of course free! I'm in the process of completing a project interfacing to a service module as I speak. *hehe*

Found a good link that should cover much of what you're talking about doing. It's a good document in a series on the Partner site.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/MBS/TechArticles/Navision/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnnav/html/nav_accbizlayerws.asp
    Kristopher Webb
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer
  • Options
    IHateLinuxIHateLinux Member Posts: 223
    Hi,

the best (and recommended way) is to use Commerce Portal.
    Another solution may be to create your own ASP, ASP.NET,... shop web site and you will use MSMQ and NAS for the communication.
    IMHO it is not a good solution to use BizTalk and Commerce Gateway because in the nature of these two products, the communication is assynchronous and therefore not ideal to be used when you need a synchronous response.

HTH,
    Rainer