applying charge to items with dimensions

ecclecticecclectic Member Posts: 176
Hi,

on items, i've got dimensions code and dimension value attached. it is set to "same code". e.g dimension code sup, dimension value = abc and value posting = same code

processed purchases invoice for charges and applied them to the item. On posting purchase invoice, i get msg item must have value "abc". It seems strange as dimension value was already set up when item was bought.

any idea how to solve it as it works fine if i remove te value "same code" on item

thanks

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    This is one of "half-baked" functionality in charge posting. We solved this with small customization that charge takes dimensions from the entry to which is applied...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ecclecticecclectic Member Posts: 176
    hi kine,

thanks for your reply. one issue though. if i'm applying one charge to several items that have different values for one dimension code, how do i call the dimension values. could u elaborate a bit how u customised it.

thanks
    we customized the posting part... when posting the charge to selected item, we override the dim code from the document (journal) with the one from the item entry...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • nasonaso Member Posts: 11
    Kine,

Your customization will work fine for Value Entries. However in the G/L Entry there's a problem because you only have one Entry for the Item Charge and it cannot bear dimension values for more than one item.

Do you split the Item Charge entry in the G/L for each assigned item or do you ignore the dimensions related to items in the G/L.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    We recently ran into the same situation. The client would enter a single item charge and apply it to several purchase receipt lines. We took the same approach as Kine, and modified the posting process to use the dimensions from the posted receipt line.

The resulting G/L entries would be as follows:

1. For each posted receipt line there would be a debit to inventory and a credit to the expense account. These entries would carry the dimensions from the posted receipt line.

2. There would be a debit to the purchases account. This would carry any dimensions from the item charge line.

3. A credit to AP. Dimensions from charge header.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • nasonaso Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, bbrown.

I think what you have is a custom rahter than a general solution to the problem.

What worries me is your second entry - debit to purchases account, which does not carry dimensions from the receipt lines.

In our circumstanes the Item Charge is debited to an Inventory account. If the Item Charge entry does not carry the dimensions of the items it relates to you cannot analize the Inventory account by dimensions.

We dicided to add an extra function to split the Item charge in the Purhcase Line once it's been applied.
  • bekiobekio Member Posts: 204
    Hi Kine,

Can you at least tell wich codeunit did you modified, or in wich function did you made modification.
    I have the same situation now, and i am trying to figure out where is that function that gets dimension for journal lines.

Thanks in advice.
    Sorry, but the post is 5 years old and I do not have elephant's memory... :-) And I am sure, that it was different than in current NAV version...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Item charges are pushed to the GL thru table 49 "Invoice Post. Buffer". The primary key of this table is what determines the rollup level of the GL postings. The "trick" is to add the "Item Charge Record No." to the end of the primary key and modify the related code to populate and process the records.

The buffer table is populated from codeunit 90 (also 80). The idea is to insert a record for each unique post to GL you want. Populate "Item Charge Record No." will an increasing integer to estabish a unique record.

I last did this in 5.0 SP1. I don't think 6.0 has changed to much in this area. What I've presented here is by no means the total solution. That's beyond the scope of this forum. But it should get you pointed in the right direction. Whatever you do, my one recommendation is test, test, test. Then test again.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • bekiobekio Member Posts: 204
    Thanks for your advice bbrown.

I will test all the time. :D :idea: