Options

Client Crash with Windows XP SP2

Fred_DeutschFred_Deutsch Member Posts: 51
edited 2005-10-16 in Navision Financials
We have approximately 40 users, most are using Windows 98, the rest are remote users (Citrix). We recently got a DELL workstation with XP preinstalled, as well as a workstation I built with XP SP2 and they crash under the following conditions:

Print a report, then go to Page Setup before actually printing.

The error is "The instruction at (some address) referenced memory at (some address). The memory could not be read"

Using Financials 1.20B, server is on an NT4 box

Any ideas would be most appreciated

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Sorry, but do not know Financials 1.20B. I know only 2.01 etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Have you ever considered a technical upgrade, or a full upgrade? Windows 98 is probably not compatible with WinXP in areas that you least expect it.

A technical upgrade is where the database objects remain what they are, and the Navision software is upgraded. I don't know if it is possible from 1.20 to 4.0, but we have done quite a few technical upgrades to take advantage of new technical capabilities.
  • Options
    Timo_LässerTimo_Lässer Member Posts: 481
    A technical update should be possible but you must re-compile all objects because of significant changes inside C/SIDE.

As usual, you should do such large changes only in a database copy and test it.
    Timo Lässer
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer since 1997
    MSDynamics.de - German Microsoft Dynamics Community - member of [clip]
  • Options
    Of course, you don't think I suggested just replacing the executables do you?

Just so you know, you should get in touch with your solution center about this issue and about the possibilities of doing a technical/full upgrade.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys. When MS bought Navision, the management decided not to continue paying the annual fees for support and upgrade rights so we do not have that option. I think the newest version of Navision I have is 2.00c. I'll keep plugging away at it.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    maybe incompatable print drivers? 98 & NT4 & XP
  • Options
    zarrynzarryn Member Posts: 29
    You might have the XP machine use Citrix over the LAN as a quick work around while you try to trace the issue.
    Zarryn
  • Options
    I doubt that you will be turned away for an upgrade when you call your solution center. You will have to pay a fee of course, but what's the harm in calling them and finding out what the fee is.
  • Options
    Savatage - you may be onto something here - I took away the one users LaserJet 1320 USB printer and gave her a plain old 5N - no crashes since then. Gotta love HP's new stuff, installs 5 or more programs to run a printer......

Both Citrix and RDC gave the same results but IMO thats not inconsistent since the printer in question is still being accessed.

Yes I will contact our SC about an upgrade. Our previous SC told us that an upgrade was impossible without full line by line recoding and of course would cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Again - thanks for all the help
  • Options
    Technical upgrade
    executables and dll's, the database objects remain the same. The only "re-coding" would be where your custom code uses new keywords. For instance, they added the datatype variant, so you'd have to rename all the variables that are called variant into something else, to prevent compile errors.

Full upgrade
    convert your old version to the new version, and take advantage of new functionality. This is not a line by line recode effort, but depending on the level of customization this could be quite an extensive project. Your solution center should be anble to help you figure out the effort.