Options

Upgrading from version2 to version4

toshitaporitoshitapori Member Posts: 52
Hi all,
I have few questions regarding the upgrade from version 2 to version 4

1. i have started reading the manuals on the CD but can anyone give me any idea if you doingthe upgrade for the first time how much time it takes usually from theh version 2 to version 4

2. What are the issues which could possibley come as i am doing for the first time so just want to be sure

Thanks in advance,
Toshitapori

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The time of upgrade (the process of moving data) depend on database size and if you will disable keys you do not need for the process.

The time for preparing upgraded objects depend on size of customizations done in old db and on documentation, style of programming etc...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    ArjanLArjanL Member Posts: 23
    Also it depends wether there are many item ledger entries in the database.
    A database with many item ledger entries can take 20 to 50 times as much time to convert then a database with no item ledger entries at all.

This is because the conversion has to generate the value entries.

One can hardly predict how long it takes. Beside database size, type of data it also depends much on the perfomance of the computer running the conversion.
  • Options
    Dave_CintronDave_Cintron Member Posts: 189
    I have just completed such an upgrade. You go from 2.0 to 3.7 and then 3.7 to 4.0. I was able to do the whole thing in a day on a 1.5 GB database.

Notes:
    1. The conversion step that loads the ILE into serial and lot nos. needs to be streamlined. It searches for a Bin No. without setting a key. Creating a key of Item No., Bin No. and using this in the last paragraph of Codeunit 104045(?) reduces processing time by a factor of about 250 (no joke, 15 minutes instead of 60 hours).

2. When completed, there were ILEs with a zero quantity that were erroneously converted, and left without Value Entries. This needs to be corrected by copying the correct data from the 2.0 database (via a dataport) and creating Value Entries. Not an easy thing, but must be done.

Finally, the Navision upgrade procedure is not without flaws. Run through it completely before you do the live upgrade and have all of your workarounds ready to go. I spent a week on this, that's why it went so quickly on the live upgrade.

Dave
    Dave Cintron
    Dynamics West
    http://www.dynamicswest.com