Options

Navision 4 Training plan or manuals for customers

tatianatatiana Member Posts: 37
Hi all!

I'm implementing Navision since 3-4 years now and I'm still looking for goods training plan to give to my customers.

Does someone has one training plan that he can sent me??
Anyhelp will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ps: It doesnt seems like Navision gives a full and detailed traing plan to give to clients.

Comments

• Options
    AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,496
    [Topic moved from Navision Tips & Tricks to Navision forum]
  • Options
    hecaheca Member Posts: 28
    I can only agree with you on the need for such material. Also working with implementations I have in fact vague plans of developing something myself, but if so I would do it in swedish.

Best regards,
    Henrik
  • Options
    DanFugettDanFugett Member Posts: 3
    Two separate partners admitted that this is an unintended benefit to both Microsoft and the partner. The partner often must do the training and the customer cannot since there are no manuals. Navision is so highly customizable that manuals are virtually impossible (so two separate companies informed me when I researched the problem). The result is the customer's dependence on the partner is increased, which can be a positive or negative experience, depending on many factors.
  • Options
    hecaheca Member Posts: 28
    I can see your point, but I don't really agre. In my eyes you always have to look at it from the perspective of an end user. Locking up customers and forcing them to dependency on the solution center can never be a good long term strategy.

In fact, up to version 2 of Navision the training material was quite good. In fact so good that I used it in later versions as well. I think that there should be training material that covers basic functionality. Training in the customisations, and producing such material should of course be done by the solution center.

/Henrik
  • Options
    DanFugettDanFugett Member Posts: 3
    I can see your point, but I don't really agre. In my eyes you always have to look at it from the perspective of an end user. Locking up customers and forcing them to dependency on the solution center can never be a good long term strategy.

We have nothing to disagree about. I am stating how things appear to be rather than how they ought to be. Also, I am not implying that any partner would intentionally mislead a customer to create dependency. It is just that the highly customizable nature of Navision would lead to that result in an environment that does not properly manage customization.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Microsoft does have manuals and training, they're just not for free. Just like when you install MS Office, you will have to go out and get trained somewhere else, and buy the books in a bookstore.

The difference is that when you buy a book about Word, it will always be valid as long as you use it, because the program will always be the same. Navision gets customized to great extents at each customer, so right off the bat much of what is in the training material (screenshots, process steps, etc) is not valid anymore.

I just do not agree that not providing manuals for free is "...locking up customers and forcing them to dependency...". No customer is ever dependent on any solution center in that respect. Every customer has the right to buy these manuals and attend the training at any time independently from the solution center.

Maybe the price of these manuals is a little on the high side (understatement), but those are set by Microsoft. Partners do not get these manuals for free either, we have to pay for each copy we need.