Options

Best/fastest way to upgrade

ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
Hello
I've searched the forum and there is lots of info on performance tuning, etc. But my question is on upgrading. They take long, especially if the client has been using Navision for a long time. There are several ways to upgrade
1. Client – Native server
2. Client – SQL Server
3. Client with opening db locally
4. the servers can be on separate box

My question is what the best configuration, and tricks one can use in order to make upgrade faster?

Here somethings I'm thinking right now
1. Don't get a backup from client, if they are using Native db. And ask the client to stop the server copy the db.
2. Disable additional keys. I know you do that allready on Item ledger entries, but what about other tables. For example GL.
Ahmed Rashed Amini
Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n

Comments

• Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    Building up the database from a backup when the native server is used has the advantage that the database is tested ( table relations etc.) and that the tables have the maximum optimization level, but on large databases this can take days.

If the secondary keys on the large ledger tables are disabled before the backup is done the time needed for this import process can be drastically reduced ( especially those keys with SumIndex fields) but of course these have to be enabled again before any new postings in which these tables are used can take place.
    Kai Kowalewski