Options

Commit() in Page Extension Action button

itsJitsJ Member Posts: 4
edited 2024-03-25 in NAV Three Tier
Hello Experts.

I have a few questions regarding Commit() function and would appreciate some clarifications.
1. is Commit function in a page extension action button risky? I have an action button that modifies a table column and right below that a preview posting function. (GenJnlPost.Preview(Rec)). it's returning an error and with some adjustments, a Commit() before the preview posting fix the issue. But I'm still not sure if using a Commit() in this scenario is the best approach, specially when I watched some yt videos stating that Commit is risky specially if placed in an Event Subscriber.
2. does a Commit() function affects other user's session?
Thank you!

Answers

• Options
    vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,118
    1) If you can avoid it, avoid it. Split the actions in two, let the user activate the preview posting with a separate click.
    But a commit in this spot is not particularly risky, as BC would save (and commit) the page's Rec before and probably after the page action anyway.

2) Yes. Mainly in the way that locks get released. But users may read different data, depending on their transaction type.
  • Options
    itsJitsJ Member Posts: 4
    edited 2024-02-11
    vaprog wrote: »
    1) If you can avoid it, avoid it. Split the actions in two, let the user activate the preview posting with a separate click.
    But a commit in this spot is not particularly risky, as BC would save (and commit) the page's Rec before and probably after the page action anyway.

2) Yes. Mainly in the way that locks get released. But users may read different data, depending on their transaction type.

but if user1 runs into a Commit(), of course his/her changes will be written in the database. will other user's changes also be written in the database? at the same exact moment user1 runs into that Commit()?
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    [Topic moved from 'General Chat' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!