Options

Validate on existing page... Page Extension or Event ?

Hi masters ;-)

When some modification has to be done on an existing page for a Validate for exemple, I usually use the Event Subscription to perform it. I saw some of my collegues doing this operation if a Page Extension using the Modify... Both system works but I am wondering if one option is more efficient or not...

Any clue about that?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Options
    SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    Well I think that there are many ways to do stuff like that, the following is a personal opinion:

If you do it on a page, you will need to add that particular piece on every page that contains that field, and if you ever use that field on a page in the furture you will also need to grap that piece of code again and add that to the new page/pageextension
    In my opinion it is code duplication and I would always try to put my code in a event subscription on a table field.

But in some cases where a particular validation is requried on a single page, I work still try to place my code in eventsubscription, so IF some time in the furture I could add a new event subscript to the same codeunit but with a different page and reuse my code in the same function.

This is just my 2 cents and I do not believe that every developer out there agrees with me :smile:
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.